The 21 Best Twenty One Pilots Lyrics

The 21 Best Twenty One Pilots Lyrics

For when someone steals your car radio and you just sit in silence.

11378
The 21 Best Twenty One Pilots Lyrics

A few weeks ago, I wrote an article containing several of my favorite lyrics from Fall Out Boy. Well, here I've decided to create a Twenty One Pilots edition. I have talked about Twenty One Pilots in a few other articles I've written before, but they are another one of my favorite bands--well, they're really a duo, not a band--because, like FOB, their music is so timeless and has perfect lyrics that will fit any situation you're in.

TØP's musical style is a little different from that of FOB though, in that they really don't stick to just one genre but switch off between, and even in some songs combine, many different genres. They can go from indie rock to pop to rap to hip-hop. That's what I love about them. What I also love about these guys is that unlike many other popular artists of today, most of their songs deal with heavy topics like mental health, religion, and suicide. They sing about things that we are recognizing as important to talk about, yet not getting talked about enough, because most popular songs nowadays are all about romances or sex or partying.

However as dark and depressing TØP can sound in some songs, they can just as easily switch to a lighter tone in other songs, and still make all their music sound equally amazing. Personally, TØP has gotten me through a lot, and I know I can listen to them no matter what kind of mood I'm in. So without further ado, here are 21 of my favorite Twenty One Pilots lyrics (of course I had to set it up that way, because puns).

1. “I have these thoughts so often I ought to replace that slot with what I once bought, ‘cause somebody stole my car radio and now I just sit in silence. Sometimes quiet is violent.” -“Car Radio”, Vessel, 2013

Simple, yet powerful, like all the words in this song. Starting with this quote because “Car Radio” was the first TØP song I heard and honestly probably my favorite. If you listen to this song, you'll find it describes exactly what it's like to live with a mental illness. I didn't even know how to describe my own mental health until I knew this song. It speaks to me in a way no other song has before.

2. "We all know somebody who knows somebody who's doing great. I know some people who know people who are flying straight. But I'll kindly enter into rooms of depression, while ceiling fans and idle hands will take my life again." -"Glowing Eyes", Regional at Best, 2011

Another one of the very first TØP songs I heard, and also one of my favorites. This is another song that gets really dark in a way that's relatable for most people who could listen to it, but it still sounds upbeat and fun to listen to.

3. “And since we know that dreams are dead, and life turns plans upon the head, I will plan to be a bum so I just might become someone.” -“House of Gold”, Vessel, 2013

4. “Does it bother anyone else when someone else has your name?” -“Forest”, Regional at Best, 2011

5. “I don't care what's in your hair, I just want to know what's on your mind. I used to say I want to die before I'm old, but because of you I might think twice.” -“We Don’t Believe What's On TV”, Blurryface, 2015

There's just something so pure and wholesome about the lyrics in this song.

6. "I feel my soul start leaving, like an old man's hair receding." -"Ode to Sleep", Vessel, 2013

Ha! They really combine dark and light humor with this line.

7. “No one else is dealing with your demons, meaning maybe defeating them could be the beginning of your meaning, friend.” -"Kitchen Sink", Regional at Best, 2011

8. "'Cause sometimes to stay alive, you gotta kill your mind. Am I the only one I know waging with wars behind my face and above my throat? Shadows will scream that I'm alone. But I know we've made it this far, kid." -"Migraine", Vessel, 2013

I love this song a lot because, as very explicitly dark as it gets (there are hints of suicide in the lyrics), it still keeps up a hopeful tone and reminds us that it's not the end.

9. "I was told when I get older all my fears would shrink, but now I'm insecure and I care what people think." -"Stressed Out", Blurryface, 2015

10. "If you decide to live by what you think's wrong and what's right, believe me you'll begin to wish you were sleeping. Your weeping will creep in head and you'll cry." -"Isle of Flightless Birds", Twenty One Pilots, 2010

11. “The songs on the radio are okay, but my taste in music is your face.”-“Tear in My Heart”, Blurryface, 2015

Probably one of my favorite lines in a song ever. It's so random and fun, as is this entire song.

12. "Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit." -"Heavydirtysoul", Blurryface, 2015

13. "I'll pray that one day you see the only difference between life and dying is one is trying, that's all we're going to do. So try to love me and I'll try to save you. Won't you stay alive? I'll take you on a ride. I will make you believe you are lovely." -"Lovely", Regional at Best, 2011

14. "You don't know what that means, because a kitchen sink to you is not a kitchen sink to me, okay friend?" -"Kitchen Sink", Regional at Best, 2011

This lyric might seem silly out of context, but I like it because what it's saying is everyone deals with their own problems differently and one issue that might seem small to one person could be a bigger deal to another person.

15. "You are out of my mind, you aren't seeing my side. You waste all this time trying to get to me, but you are out of my mind. Heard you say, not today. Tore the curtains down, windows open now, make a sound. Heard your voice, 'There's no choice.' Tore the curtains down, windows open now, make a noise." -"Not Today", Blurryface", 2015

This song is about dealing with and conquering (at least temporarily) depression, so it's great to listen to if you're having an off day where your mental illness is getting the best of you. I love it because I interpret it as someone lying in bed all depressed but then getting up and punching their depression in the face and going, "Nope, not today!"

`16. "I'm a pro at imperfections and I'm best friends with my doubt. And now that my mind's out, and now I hear it clear and loud I'm thinking, 'wow, I probably should've stayed inside my house." -"The Judge," Blurryface, 2015

17. "Take me up, seal the door. I don't want to march here anymore. I realize that this line is dead, so I'll follow you instead." -"March to the Sea", Twenty One Pilots, 2010

18. "I can feel your breath. I can feel my death. I want to know you. I want to see. I want to say hello." -"Trees", Regional at Best, 2011

This song, as well as both "The Judge" and "March to the Sea", has subtle religious undertones to it. That's why I like this one-- it describes the feeling of wanting to connect with God more.

19. "I'm trying, I'm trying to sleep, but I can't, but I can't when you all have guns for hands. We've turned our hands to guns, trade in our thumbs for ammunition." -"Guns for Hands", Vessel, 2013

A reason I really like this song is because they were making a statement, or at least I think they were (though I could be wrong), about the issue of gun violence.

20. "Wish we could turn back time to the good old days when our mamas sang us to sleep, but now we're stressed out." -"Stressed Out", Blurryface, 2015

Ah yes, the famous words from their most popular and most overplayed song-- but honestly, these lyrics are still so true. Who doesn't wish we could go back to the days of our childhood when everything was so much simpler?

21. "Faith is to be awake, and to be awake is for us to think, and for us to think is to be alive, and I will try with every rhyme to come across like I am dying to let you know you need to try to think." -"Car Radio", Vessel, 2013

Ending back where we started, with this classic. I think these lyrics especially are the part of the song that hits me the most- because as sad as it is to admit it, many of us, especially those of us with mental illnesses, can relate to the idea that sometimes even just being alive and being present with your own mind is quite terrifying.

I could go on and on about even more amazing quotes from these guys, but if I didn't stop at 21, it wouldn't be as fun. You get the idea though.

P will have at least one song for you no matter who you are or what you've experienced. Is your anxiety or depression getting the best of you? Is it the opposite situation, in which you're feeling great about yourself? Need to be reminded you're not alone? Stressing over midterms or finals? Just tired from a long day? No matter what, there are Twenty One Pilots lyrics for whatever you're going through!