Make 2017 A Year About You And Your Wellbeing

Health Goals For The Upcoming New Year

50
theberry.com

New Years is almost here- so why not jump start on a resolution? Throughout the fall and winter, often times we fall back on our health. The cold months make us want to curl up with a blanket and some chi tea more than they make us want to jump out of our warm beds in the morning for a solid workout. No, this is not a grand and original New Years resolution idea- to be fair, health goals are probably the most common. But what I think might help keep these wellness ambitions rolling throughout 2017 is setting concrete, time-lined goals, and starting them before 2017 even hits, this way you 'hit the year running'. If you've already invested in change before the ball drops, you'll be even more motivated to maintain your progress. After all- it's the early bird who catches the worm!

Starting The Journey To Personal Health and Wellness:

Body

1) 'But First' Set Physical Fitness Goals

These include things like running a marathon, half marathon, or even a 5k. They also might include being able to lift a certain weight, or accomplish a certain skill in your sport. Or it could be getting a certain amount of steps on your fitbit.

*2) Then Set Appearance Goals

Yes, these are two separate things- and you need both to reach your goals in a safe and realistic way. A physical fitness goal is a goal for what you want your body to be able to do, and an appearance goal is desire to achieve what an optimum healthy body looks like to you (realize this varies from person to person). Appearance goals alone may lead to unhealthy methodologies in reaching them which may lead to an inevitable relapse or more scarily: health complications. Often times setting fitness goals will lead to the emergence of your appearance goals anyway, so it is beneficial to set these goals first.

3) Eat Foods That Are The Level Of Health You Want To Be At

You are what you eat. Sure things happen, people who eat healthily still get sick, but on a day to day basis what you are eating is going to reflect on your body and mental health. If you are eating a variety of fruits and veggies (all colors), your body will thank you and respond with clearer skin, fast growing hair and nails, and an ideal weight. Mentally, eating nutrients and healthy fats such as avocado and nuts will keep your brain functioning at it's peak, you'll preform better in school and be a happier more motivated person over all. Excessive empty carbs and dairy products are only going to leave you lethargic and cranky.

4) Drink More Water And Less Alcohol

Drink water. Lots of it. Keeping your body hydrated is so important to keeping it operating smoothly. It nourishes your skin, it keeps your temperature in check, lowers stress, and prevents you from feeling 'fake hungry'. Alcohol on the other hand is both dehydrating and bloating. Alcohol is a huge irritant for the GI system, and also speeds up the aging process if it's consumed regularly. Alcohol is a huge social part of modern society, so it may be too much to suggest cutting it out entirely... but a cut back would be largely beneficial.

5) Sleep

Sleeping is when the body and brain have a chance to recover and restore for the next day. It's when the body gets a chance to heal itself, it's a rejuvenating time that should not be taken for granted. Though things get busy at times, it pays off to try and prioritize sleep over something like, say, Netflix.

Mind

1) Create Your Own Happiness

Your happiness is your responsibility. You can choose to be a mopey negative-nelly, or you can choose to not sweat the little things. Chill out, don't play the victim, don't be a drama queen. Just appreciate how beautiful being alive on this earth is.

Simple.

2) Seek Balance

Never put so much energy into one aspect of your life that every other part gets neglected. Prioritize accordingly, but always leave adequate room for everything to have a fair shot at 'staying above water'. School, friends, family, health, work, and relaxing time should all get attention. Yes it's hard, but it's not impossible to find balance.

3) Maintain Relationships & Build New Friendships

Don't burn a bridge, so long as it is a healthy bridge (so to speak), and never close the door to potential new friends- nobody likes people who insist on continuing the high school clique shindig. Balance your time between the old and the new and be open to new potential friends, you never know when another great person is about to enter your life.

4) Stay Learning, Everyday

Take every opportunity to learn as much as you can, whether that be from other people, classes, travel, reading, observation, or experience- take it all in. Being a constant student to your surroundings is a surefire way to keep the soul happy and your character evolving.

5) Always Be Working Towards Something

It has been my observation, that people get depressed and feel lost and stuck when they don't have something to be working towards. Always have goals, therefore you can always be achieving and achievement and personal growth tend to lead to happiness.

2017 can be the year that changes it all- grab the opportunity! You don't need to wait for the official new year- get started now!