12 Essential Goals For Your 2017 New Year's Bucket List

Because all a list of resolutions are is a mini bucket list, right?

1216

As 2016 quickly comes to a close, it is easy to get down on all the things you wish you would had done and all the things you wish you hadn't done. Although many people consider new year's resolutions to be overrated, I disagree. I believe that a list of resolutions to begin on the first of the year is like a mini bucket list we recreate annually! So, this year for my new year's resolutions, or my 19th annual bucket list, I have created a list of things I know I can accomplish in a year.

1. Travel to a state I haven't been to yet with someone I haven't met yet.

If you think about it, 365 days is enough time to fall in love, to create lasting friendships and to reconnect with old friends. So, why not travel somewhere extraordinary with one of those people you haven't gotten to meet yet?

2. Run a triathlon.

This one is important for me, not because I am the most physically fit or health conscious person, but because I want to show myself I can do anything. I want to teach myself that if I work hard to train for something like a triathlon, I can do it because I am strong and dedicated to the things I care about.

3. Remind people of how much they mean to me.

I focus so much time and energy into what I do, that I forget about the people who are doing it with me. I have so many wonderful people in my life I take for granted and it's important to tell them now much they mean to me. Life is short and you never know when the last time you will be able to say, "I love and I appreciate you."

4. Love myself as much as I should.

I am in college, I have amazing friends and family, I have God in my life, and I am talented in many areas of my life. I vow to love myself more this year. I will steer away from focusing on my flaws, and I will rejoice in my blessings.

5. Forgive people who have hurt me.

Twenty-sixteen was a tough year for a lot of people. I feel like society has taught us it's okay to hold grudges against people who have done us wrong, but that isn't true. Not forgiving people who hurt us, seems to just hurt us more. This is why it is so important to forgive those people.

6. Move on from people who don't deserve me.

I have found that there are many people God places in your life to teach you a lesson. That's all they are there for though. I need to remember that I am on my own journey and if people come into my life who don't deserve to be there, I need to let them go.

7. Go to at least three concerts with the same person.

I've always wanted a "concert buddy" if you will, and so 2017 will be the year to find that person who loves all the music I love.

8. Finally be the person I want to be.

I feel like I have spent so much time shaping myself into the person I wanted people to see me as, but as I've grown up, I've changed. This year I want to finally show my true self and be the person I am when no one else is around.

9. Be happy on my own.

It seems that as I've gotten older, I've become more dependent on other people. I constantly see friends in serious relationships, or I see people with a really really close friend. I think seeing all of this has made me feel like I need THAT to be happy. This year, I want to discover myself so that I can appreciate life independently.

10. Ride my bike more.

I want to be super fit this year and also save money, so why not accomplish this by riding my bike everywhere I go? Saves gas money and gets me active at the same time!

11. Discover something about myself I never knew before.

This year, I want to rediscover myself and open new doors for myself. I have been on this earth for many years now, but that doesn't mean I am done finding out who I am.

12. Strengthen my relationship with God.

This is my most important resolution. I want to become one with God. I want him to build me up and make me stronger. With God all things are possible, so with him at the forefront of my life, I can accomplish all these goals and more!