2017 NBA Mock Draft: Last Minute Edition

Who will your team pick?

38
Fansided

The star-studded 2017 NBA draft is almost upon us. In less 48 hours, fourteen highly touted superstar hopefuls will find out the destination of their first professional pitstop. After spending countless hours watching DraftExpress videos, scouring basketball forums and cross-analyzing lottery team subreddits, I bring to you my 2017 NBA Mock Draft: Last Minute Edition.

1. Markelle Fultz (PHI)

Fultz has been on a meteoric rise since being cut from his varsity basketball team during his Sophomore season in high school. An exceptionally smooth athlete, Fultz is an elite scorer anywhere past half court while possessing great size and vision for a point guard. It’s no surprise then, that the 76ers swung a deal with the Celtics to secure this can’t-miss prospect out of the UW.

With Fultz at the helm, last year’s 1st overall pick Ben Simmons controlling the wing and the charismatic yet dominant Embiid anchoring the paint, the 76ers are a terrifying powerhouse in the making. The legacy of Hinkie lives on.

2. Lonzo Ball (LAL)

After pulling a surprising U-turn by working out Jackson and Fox (and shutting up the boisterous Lavar Ball in the process), Magic Johnson succumbs to the temptation of drafting hometown favorite Lonzo Ball (to the chagrin of everyone relishing the silence). The Big Baller Brand gets its wish and stays in the City of Angels.

Lonzo Ball is undeniably a baller though, with his 6’6 frame and a special gift for playmaking. With the Laker's leading guard D’Angelo Russell now out of the fold, Ball will be running the break and slinging threes for years to come. As for his funky release, only time will tell if it handicaps his ability to score at the next level.

3. Jayson Tatum (BOS)

Danny Ainge finally pulled the trigger on a trade. Unfortunately, it was not a popular one. Celtics nation is up in arms after Ainge swapped the 1st pick (surefire prospect Fultz) for the 3rd pick and a future first rounder (2018 LAL or 2019 SAC). Believing that the lottery’s talent gap is negligible, the value-driven Ainge angled to accumulate more future assets. While there are rumblings that Boston may have more deals in the works (Jimmy Butler, anyone?), no one's quite sure what Ainge has up his sleeve.

Worth noting, this move signals that Ainge is prepared to drive out the Brinks truck for the most relevant Mr. Irrelevant in NBA history, Isaiah Thomas. Although the diminutive point guard is a dynamic scorer and spearheaded the team to a 1 seed this past season, he will demand an astronomical contract in excess of 30 million dollars a year next summer — quite the hefty commitment for a defensive liability.

Should the Celtics stand pat at 3, Duke’s Jayson Tatum is the best fit for the existing roster. A polished scorer, Tatum fits the mold for a modern small ball 4 — capable of stretching the floor while punishing opposing big men with his offensive savvy. Concerns over his mediocre wingspan and questionable defense will be overlooked. After all, the Celtics see a bit of the Truth in him.

4. Josh Jackson (PHO)

The folks in Phoenix will deliberate, then realize that selecting the best player available while avoiding a point guard logjam doesn’t sound shabby at all. Enter Josh Jackson, the talented small forward out of Kansas. Tabbed by many as the player with highest upside in this year’s draft, Jackson is a fiery competitor who impressed in college with his defensive intensity and ferocious dunks.

Owners of the third worst defensive rating in the NBA last season, the Suns need Jackson to step in and make an immediate impact on the defensive end. Concerns over his temperament, mediocre wingspan and awkward shooting mechanics shouldn't be enough to sway the Suns away from taking arguably the most explosive and versatile defender in this draft class.

5. De'Aaron Fox (SAC)

No player in the lottery has made a bigger jump up the draft boards than De’Aaron Fox out of Kentucky. His stellar showing during March Madness, capped off by a 39 point outburst against UCLA and Lonzo Ball, put Fox on the radar of every team lucky enough to have a top pick in the 2017 draft.

Lightning quick on his feet, Fox may overtake John Wall as the fastest end to end athlete in the league the moment he is drafted. On top of his eye-blurring speed, Fox has shown flashes of brilliance on both ends of the floor and a refreshing charisma off the court. However, Fox must work on his inconsistent shooting and add muscle to his wiry frame to live up to his potential as the best point guard of the 2017 draft class.

6. Dennis Smith Jr. (ORL)

Bid farewell to the wackiest hairdo in professional sports, the Elfrid Payton experiment is officially over in Orlando. Unluckily for Payton, the Magic will not give him the opportunity to prove that his year end performances were not an aberration.

Right out the gate, Dennis Smith Jr. out of NC State will leapfrog Payton as the starting guard in Orlando. That's what happens when you have a 48-inch vertical and explosiveness that rivals reigning MVP Russell Westbrook. A likely top three pick in a shallower draft, DSJ's draft stock was only hindered by concerns over his leadership attitude and past injuries. Regardless, this gifted athlete undoubtedly possesses the ability to make five teams regret passing on him.

7. Jonathan Isaac (MIN)

Owners the dubious distinction of the longest playoff drought in the NBA, things in the Twin Cities are about to change (No, for real though, not just their logo). Minnesota sports one of the most promising young cores in the NBA, featuring 21 year old inside-out big man Karl-Anthony Towns, 22 year old high flyer Zach Lavine and 22 year old “Kobe-Lite” Andrew Wiggins. Throw in 19 year old human pogo stick Jonathan Isaac, and the Timberpups will finally grow their fangs.

Isaac is a intriguing prospect who owns a rare combination of size and speed. Standing at 6’11 with a 7’1 wingspan, Isaac also possesses the foot speed to keep up with guards on defense. Although thin in the upper body, Isaac’s length, paired with his defensive instincts, allow him to force timely turnovers and block shots at the rim. On offense, Isaac is relatively unpolished. However, he has flashed a passable jump shot and improving mechanics. In all, this promising youngster can only expedite the Wolves return to relevance. The Snake led ring chasers down in the Bay should watch out, the Wolves are coming.

8. Frank Ntilikina (NYK)

Last year’s league laughingstock for reasons on and off the court, the Knickerbockers have seen better days.

In his three years in the Big Apple, Phil Jackson has made just one great move — drafting a little known European prospect out of Latvia named Kristaps Porzingis. He will attempt to make lightning strike twice by selecting Frank Ntilikina out of France with the 8th overall pick.

The youngest player in this year’s draft, Ntikilina is a freak of nature, standing at 6’5 with a 7 foot wingspan at the guard spot. Playing overseas, he is perhaps the greatest enigma of this year’s draft. However, despite relatively little attention from American scouts, Frank dominated the scene at the FIBA Under 18 European Championship, showing impressive range as well as tremendous promise on the defensive end.

9. Malik Monk (DAL)

In a perfect world, my Dallas Mavericks would have one of the five immensely promising point guards in the draft slip into their laps. In fact, the team is reportedly enamored with Ntilikina, who I project the Knicks will heartlessly snatch one pick ahead of us. Barring a draft day trade, the Mavericks will settle for Malik Monk out of Kentucky.

Monk is no pushover of a consolation prize. Perhaps the most dynamic scorer in his class, Monk averaged a cool 19.8 points this season, highlighted by a 47 point masterpiece against powerhouse UNC. However, as an undersized 2 guard, Monk's stature and below-average wingspan will limit his ability to contain opposing backcourts. Nevertheless, this scoring dynamo is a steal at the latter end of the lottery.

10. Lauri Markkanen (SAC)

Living up to his namesake, Lauri Markkanen is a true marksman, shooting a sizzling 42.3% from three in his one season at the University of Arizona. However, over the past few months, the 7 foot Finnish sniper has slipped on draft boards due to concerns over his poor rebounding and limited athleticism.

That being said, Markkanen is still a fantastic value at the 10th overall selection as elite shooting is a hot commodity in the NBA. In Fox and Markkanen, inept team owner Vivek Ranadivé may have lucked into two key building blocks for the future.

11. Donovan Mitchell (CHA)

Donovan Mitchell turned heads at the NBA Draft Combine, with a disproportionately impressive 6'10 wingspan despite standing at just 6'3. That measurement could go a long way in convincing NBA scouts that Mitchell's 2.1 steals a game last season will translate to the next level.

On top of his knack for pickpocketing, Mitchell is also a capable scorer, averaging 15.6 points during his Sophomore season for Louisville. This underrated shooting guard will be a great pick to jumpstart the Hornet's middling offense and reduce Kemba's scoring burden.

12. Luke Kennard (DET)

Ranking almost dead last in 3-point percentage as a team, Detroit should be ecstatic if Kennard is still on the board at 12. A deadeye shooter who averaged 19.2 points on a scorching 43.8% from downtown, Kennard has been shooting up draft boards (pun intended) after impressing teams with his range and poise during workouts.

With trade rumors swirling and free agency pending, if the Pistons retain their bruising center Andre Drummond and promising shooting guard Caldwell-Pope, Stan Van Gundy will have an opportunity to revitalize the four out offense he employed to great success in Orlando.

13. Zach Collins (DEN)

With long-time power forward Danilo Gallinari likely on the way out, the Nuggets will consider a number of forwards at #13, including reaching for the volatile Jonah Bolden. In the end, they will elect to go with Zach Collins out of Gonzaga.

Despite being a reserve for the eventual National Title runner-ups, Collins was able to average a respectable 10 points, 5.9 rebounds and 1.8 blocks a game in less than 18 minutes of playing time. Although his skillset is fairly raw at this point in his career, Collins should be a low-risk, high-reward pick given his size, shot-blocking ability and post-efficiency.

14. Justin Jackson (MIA)

With their top targets all off the board, the Heat opt for UNC's Justin Jackson. A rare upperclassman in the upper echelon of the 1st round, Jackson has shown steady improvement over his three year career with the Tar Heels. After hovering around 30% from three in his Freshman and Sophomore campaigns, Jackson canned 37% of his tries during his Junior year.

Although lacking in elite explosiveness and offensive creativity, Jackson's maturity and unselfish style of play will make him a solid contributor in the NBA, whether in a starter's role or coming off the bench.