20 Things You Know When You Play Rugby

20 Things You Know When You Play Rugby

Once a rugby player, always a rugby player.

456
20 Things You Know When You Play Rugby
Taylor Glowacki

When you're a rugby player, you realize that rugby tends to have its own "culture." Everyone knows you as someone who plays, and you've just accepted this by now. Your fun fact when introducing yourself in class every semester is usually something pertaining to the fact that you play Rugby. Rugby is a sport I've come to love in college, and to express my love for the sport, here are 20 signs that are all too familiar when you play fugby.

1. Saturday is game day.

It’s Saturday and while all your friends are sleeping in from last night's party, you’re well-rested and up early. Saturday is game day, and there is no fooling around; you’ve been waiting for this day all week!

2. Stinking and drinking is absolutely a thing.

You don’t care what you look like or smell like after a hard fought 80-minute game, you’re going to have a beer with the other team, stench and all.

3. You're not afraid to get a little muddy.

Did someone say rookie mud-slides? Heck, even the vets are sliding through the mud.

4. You look like someone beat you up, but really they're just game day bruises.

You swear you’re not in an abusive relationship, you just happen to play rugby where protection doesn’t exist.

5. Someone half the size of you has thrown you to the ground like it's no big deal...

The little ones always tackle hard…beware!

6. And likewise, you've destroyed someone twice your size like it was nothing.

But you also have no problem taking down someone bigger than you.

7. You may be opponents on the pitch, but you're friends off it.

For 80 minutes you may want to rip each others heads off, but once those 80 minutes are up, you shake hands and go socialize. Why? Because this is rugby.

8. You need to own stock in pre-wrap, med-tape and IcyHot.

Whether it’s being used as a head band, holding your piercings in place and out of sight of the Ref, holding your body parts in place or relieving pain, you can never have enough of it when you play rugby.

9. You've shot the boot, and been golf balled.

Such foreign terms to someone who doesn’t play, but we rugby players know what drinking a beer from a cleat (or whatever shoe is currently around) tastes like, and we know to cover our drinks when that golf ball is seen at social events…”Down 1, Down 1, Down 1…”

10. When the ref asks if that's blood, you find any excuse to say it's not.

No, Sir, that’s not blood. I’m fine. It's just...ketchup... You don’t want to be taken out of the game, and you find any excuse to stay in.

11. You love your hookers.

We’d be nowhere without supporting our hookers.

12. All weather is rugby weather: rain, snow, sun or hurricane.

There could literally be a hurricane, and you’d still be playing. Rugby doesn’t know what weather is. When it’s game day, you can count on playing no matter what.

13. You've embarrassed yourself trying to tackle someone and missing.

Admit it, you tried to tackle someone and looked hilarious when you missed and dove straight into the muddy pitch, and you’re just hoping the other team didn’t score.

14. Your cleats and duffel bag will always be full of mud, grass and stench.

Don’t open that smelly bag, it will forever be a don’t. A whole box of dryer sheets can’t fix that smell.

15. You're constantly explaining that rugby is not, in fact, football.

No, rugby is not the same as football, but thank you for asking...again.

16. You're completely comfortable "stripping" on the pitch.

Jerseys are flying off, wedgies are being picked and you’re probably walking around in a sports bra, but you haven’t a care in the world.

17. You're always singing your team's song, chant or rugby songs.

Every team has them…and I’m sure you’re silently singing one to yourself as you read this.

18. Nothing beats having a bad day, and being able to take it out on the pitch.

Did someone say tackling drills? Free anger management—lets do this!

19. Sunday is rest day.

Saturday may be game day, but Sunday you’re not doing anything. You most likely feel like you’ve been hit by a truck and can’t move from bed anyways.

20. Your team is your family.

The bond that you create with your team is like no other. Your friends on and off the pitch, and are nothing short of a family.