2 Down, 2 To Go

2 Down, 2 To Go

5 things I have learned through my first two years of college

11
2 Down, 2 To Go
Andi Norman

After officially completing my sophomore year (peace out 16X), I have been reflecting on what my first two years of college have shown me about myself. Here’s what I have learned:

My body is freaking strong.

Not in the sense of I can lift lots of weight and when I flex, the muscles ripple under my skin, but strong like it is unbelievably resilient and endures more than I thought it could. Over the past two years, I have experienced some of the hardest workouts and some the longest days of my life, and my body somehow finds a way to bounce back. Running on little sleep, with two full workouts a day, midterms, and fighting a cold in New Hampshire February is no easy task. There have been days when I didn’t think I could physically pull through. Ivy weekends with two games and sixteen hours on a bus in a 72 hour period, pre-season in its entirety, and a 5-month long season will do that to you. But this I know: my body is unyielding, relentless and stronger than ever.

Alone time is crucial

FOMO is real, but so is the stress and anxiety when I haven’t allowed myself the calm and peace of my own solidarity. As much as I hate missing out on parties or events with my friends, I equally love my alone time and catching up with myself.

I need to listen to my body.

Many nights when I have tried to force myself to stay up and study or days when my muscles are crying with every step, begging me for an off day. My body is strong, but it has its limits. I am not invincible. Dealing with weak ankles, a season long hip strain, and constant soreness has taught me how to pay attention and listen to my body. Sometimes a tight IT band or hamstring comes with the territory, but I have learned to recognize when my body is just sore and when it is completely fatigued.

I am finally getting a hold on this whole college thing.

My first two years of college were a bit of a whirlwind, and it wasn't until Sophomore Summer that I really felt that I knew what I was doing. That being said, some parts of college are still unbeknownst to me, but I am no longer clueless and floundering unlike the first two years.

I have no idea what I want to do with my life.

I am asked this question too frequently. And as a rising junior, you think that I would have at least a hint of what I realistically want to do with my life. However, I am a twenty year old kid who really just wants to play basketball, read good books and write about my thoughts. So if there is a job that fits that description, let me know because that is what I want to do.

--

Being halfway through college scares the shit out of me and I am terrified of whatever comes next. I want to be a Dartmouth student forever. But with two down and two to go, the reality of reality is setting in. May the second half be even better than the first and filled with passion finding and ring chasing (mind on 18)!