17 Things More Important in Your Life Than a 4.0 GPA

Because Achieving Perfection is Overrated & You Are More Than a Number

153
Vanderbilt Magazine

With all the world has to offer, sometimes we lose sight of what really matters. While education is a pillar of our society and extremely valuable, the unattainable standard for perfection can tear at us all. In the long run what is a 4.0 going to do for you? There's a list of hundreds of other traits just as worthwhile as achieving the exemplary student status.

1. Intellectual Curiosity

Question everything around you. Research. Explore; but not always in the textbook sense. Let your mind guide you through an individualized curriculum, whether it be interest in politics, music, science, etc. Never kill your curiosity, it is one of education's greatest gifts.

2. Pursuing Something That You're Passionate About

We are sent through years of schooling to help us decide a lifelong profession yet we are rarely given the opportunity to dive into our interests. Even if you don't know your passion or have one yet you should be able to have more liberty to discover what you like. Take classes, join a team, sign up for a program, read or write a book, become a photographer. If it makes you happy, run with it and never look back.

3. Traveling

Traveling does not entail packing up your bags and taking the next flight to India. Road trips can be just as successful. Make a list of places you'd like to see and why. The United States is full of national parks, beaches, cities and culture. Immerse yourself in everything the world has to offer. Learn outside of the classroom. Take photographs, write, play and explore.

4. Building Relationships

In the long run your friends, significant others, mentors and colleagues are going to shape who you are as a person and often stick around for quite awhile. Learn how to build meaningful relationships with them; to care, listen, surprise and bond with those around you. In the "real world" connections will be one of your handiest assets.

5. Family

Family never gets left behind. I'm not sure that I can emphasize enough how important some sort of family is, whether they are blood related or not. Everyone needs a safe haven, a community that they can rely on and that will support them. Never take these people for granted, they love you dearly.

6. Building Character

"Intelligence plus character- that is the true goal of education." (Martin Luther King Jr.) Character is who you are when nobody is watching: are you honest? loyal? accepting? Become someone that you are proud of, not just a product of the public school system.

7. Having People Skills

It may sound easy but learning how to both talk to people and listen are crucial. No one is going to want to work with an asshole; be a team player, communicate, compromise and choose your battles. In most careers you are going to be working day-to-day with people, so it is important to know how to handle them.

8. How to Respect Others & Yourself

"Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners." (Laurence Sterne) Whether it's your teachers, parents, peers or even yourself respect is a valuable characteristic. Learning to appreciate one another, their values and what they have to say, is crucial at all ages.

9. Trying + Failing

Let's face it, anyone that has success handed to them their entire life will never be successful. Failing a math test or sucking at a history project points you in the direction of improvement. The will to try new things often comes with potential failure, but in the end it is the effort you put in that matters more than the outcome.

10. Being Worldly & Updated on Current Events

Please take your nose out of the textbook and check the news every once in awhile. There are millions of people around you, and their lives matter. While it is important to have a grasp on standard education, current events shape our future. These events help shape your sympathies, views and morals. Who are we and what do we believe in?

11. Community Service

No one is above giving back. There is a Jewish proverb "tikkun olam" which translates to repair the world. It is our duty as citizens of the world to help it grow and prosper which will in turn help us. Whether you put in a few hours a week or once a month, it's important to serve your community.

12. Extracurricular Activities

We live in a world where the 4.0 isn't enough good enough. Colleges are looking for club leaders, team captains, passionate artists, young entrepreneurs and innovative thinkers. Extracurriculars give people a glimpse at who you are outside of the classroom and what you like. It is an opportunity to tailor your afternoons or weekends to your interests.

13. Learning How to Be Creative/Embracing Your Creativity

Creativity is more than a painting in art class. Often creativity is associated solely with the humanities, filed under clichés such as "thinking out of the box," however in professions such as business, marketing, architecture, law, etc. all employ original, critical thinking. Invest some time in figuring out where your creative ideas or thoughts are stored, and start raising your voice so people can hear them.

14. Achieving Open-mindedness

Now more than ever learning to be tolerant, optimistic, understanding and accepting is important. The world is becoming increasingly diverse and presenting thousands of progressive ideas, listen to them. Although you will not always agree with them, open-mindedness is the first step to peaceful relations. Go into everything you do without prejudgement.

15. Faith

Faith extends beyond religion. You can believe in people, establishments, movements or even yourself. "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the full staircase." (Martin Luther King Jr.)

16. Experience

Live to the fullest extent. See everything you can. Smile and meet people you thought you'd never speak to. Read and research. Be reckless and loud. Try foods or activities that scare you. Let everyday be a challenge and everything that comes at you be an opportunity.

17. Love

Fall in love. Love your friends. Love your family. Practice loving yourself. Take in all universal love has to offer, even if it breaks your heart.