15 Ways To Get Some Exercise This Summer

Getting that beach body doesn't have to be boring.

42
active.com

Summer is upon us, which means that everyone is looking for the best way to get the beach body of their dreams. I can't promise you that anything I write will get you that body. However, as a fitness fanatic, I'm always looking for new activities that help me get moving. Here's some inspiration on how you can get active this summer.

1. Running

How cliché of me, right? Running is my go-to cardio workout. It’s a great way to enjoy the beautiful summer weather while getting in shape. The great thing is that can vary your runs in so many ways. You can run for long or short distances, and you can jog or break into a full-on sprint, or do intervals of the two. If pavement is too rough on your joints, try running on a trail, beach, track, or treadmill. Challenge yourself by signing up for a race. RunningintheUSA.com can help you find races near you.

2. Walking or hiking

These tend to be a bit easier than running, but can be just as beneficial and enjoyable. Who doesn’t like taking it slow and enjoying the scenery? Hiking can be quite challenging, depending on where you’re headed. Check out alltrails.com for hiking trails.

3. Rock climbing

If you’re feeling extra adventurous, try your hand at rock climbing (see what I did there?). It’s a great way to get your whole body involved. Be sure to get proper instruction and use the proper safety equipment. Rockclimbing.com is a great source to find places to climb both indoors and outdoors.

4. Biking

This is another obvious one, but is without a doubt a great lower body and cardio workout. The possibilities are endless as long as there are roads and/or trails. If you think you’re up for a race take a look at usacycling.org.

5. Rollerblading

As a hockey player, this one is very enjoyable for me. Strap on some wheels and get moving! Rollerblading can be done on any road, but you can find a list of inline skate-friendly trails at traillink.com.

6. Martial arts

I am not an expert in martial arts, but I do know that they are a great full body workout, and can be practiced just about anywhere. Find a dojo near you using dojos.info.

7. Yoga

Yoga is great for practicing balance, flexibility, and strength. Bring your yoga mat into the summer sun if you want to take advantage of the nice weather.

8. Dancing

I don’t think I need to tell anyone that dancing is great exercise. Try out a Zumba class. When in doubt, dance it out.

9. Swimming

Swimming is great cardio that gets you to focus in on your breathing. Not to mention it has very little impact on your joints. Why not try out a few different forms of cardio? Triathlon anyone? Check out trifind.com.

10. Water skiing or wake boarding

Watersports are a fun, challenging way to get some exercise in while taking advantage of the summer heat. Trust me, after water skiing or wake boarding you will feel the burn in muscles you didn’t know you had.

11. Kayaking, canoeing, or paddle boarding

These are a few watersports that involve more of the upper body.

12. Golfing

Golfing is a typical summer activity that anyone can get involved in. Try walking the course for extra exercise instead of renting a cart.

13. Team sports

I spend many of my Sundays during the summer playing slow-pitch softball. There are tons of opportunities to play sports in adult leagues, so take advantage of them!

14. Hit the gym the old fashioned way

Many times during the summer the last place we want to be is inside. However, much of the equipment that we need for strength training is found in the gym. If you like pumping iron the old fashioned way, go ahead and kill that workout, then reward yourself by relaxing outside.

15. Bring your indoor workout into the sun

There are plenty of exercises that don’t require any equipment at all. This is where you can get creative and use your surroundings. Try working out at a local park and use whatever is available to you. Here’s a cool playground workout from greatist.com for some inspiration. Have fun getting fit!