15 Effective Ways To Be Healthier

15 Effective Ways To Be Healthier

Follow these simple tips for a healthier you!

123
15 Effective Ways To Be Healthier

Let's face it—life can get busy. Whether you're in college, are working, or doing both, it seems as is if there isn't enough time in the day to get everything done. This often leads you to abandon some aspects of your life that you probably should be prioritizing like your health. Being healthy shouldn't have to be hard or stressful. Here are 15 easy ways that you can be healthier.

1. Enjoy the outdoors

I know that work and school take up a lot of time, but the next time you're distracted by the urge to binge-watch cute animal videos on YouTube, consider doing something outside like talking a walk (not only will you get your exercise in, but you'll also reap the benefits of enjoying the fresh air). You can even do something as simple and relaxing as sitting on a bench in the park. Whatever it is, make sure you spend some of your time outside.

2. H20 is the way to go

You've heard it before, and you're going to hear it again: Stay hydrated! Keep a bottle of water with you at all times; you're going to need it considering that ideally we are supposed to drink 2 liters a day (which equates to about 4 bottles a day). Drinking a lot of water is beneficial for weight loss as well, because it fills you up and prevents you from overeating. Happy drinking!

3. Stay moving

Whether you like to walk, run, dance, swim, jump, skip, play a sport or do yoga, find a way to stay active! You don't even need a gym membership to stay healthy and active. Taking a 10-minute walk or jog is a perfect way to maintain a healthy exercise regimen, but never be afraid to challenge yourself and condition your body to become stronger.

4. Eat more vegetables

There's literally no way around it. I've tried and I've failed. If you really want to be healthy, you have to eat your veggies. It's an unfortunate truth, but the nutrients in vegetables really can make a positive impact on your health, skin, nails and teeth. In addition, even though moderation is always key to a balanced and healthy lifestyle, you can be more flexible with how many vegetables you consume since they are low-calorie foods.

5. Have breakfast

It's true when they say that breakfast is the most important meal of day. It's the perfect way to start the day, because it provides your body the fuel it needs to produce energy. If you're anything like me, I sometimes substitute an iced coffee for a meal, but this is a huge no-no, especially if you're looking to lead a healthier lifestyle. By skipping breakfast, you lack energy, concentration, and being on an empty stomach can make you moody and ultimately hungrier throughout the day. It's simple: eat breakfast, be healthy.

6. Skip the sugar

Who can resist glazed donuts, decadent cupcakes, chocolate chip cookies, and all the other sugary goods that we love? Healthy people. Seriously, sugar is so good, but so bad. Whether you love your sugar in junk foods, soda or in your coffee, you should aim to consume less or none of it. Instead, focus on incorporating natural sugars found in fruits into your meals.

7. Treat yo'self

Life is too short to not indulge in your favorite comfort foods from time to time. If the occasion arises where you have the chance to have a piece of cake or a plate of pasta, go for it. If you have a big sweet tooth like me, you also have the option of resorting to some healthier alternatives. Chocolate-lovers will be happy to hear that chocolate, dark chocolate that is, is actually healthy for you! Not only is it satisfying, but it's also rich in antioxidants.

8. Get enough sleep

It's easy to leave your work for the last minute and find yourself pulling an all-nighter to get it done. The truth is that compromising your sleep is one of the worst things you can do for your body. Not getting enough sleep can negatively impact your energy levels and your ability to think and perform. Even when life gets busy, try to manage getting some extra rest.

9. Be positive

I know that it's easier said than done, but having a positive outlook can dramatically transform the way you approach your day. Start by looking at all the things your grateful for, and focus on all the good that you find in your life. By thinking positively, you'll live positively.

10. Take a break from your phone

It might sound impossible for some people, but it's so needed in a healthy, balanced life. The distraction of our phones makes us spend hours on them, taking us from Instagram to Youtube to taking quizzes on Buzzfeed. Put your phone to the side for a while, and fill that time by doing something different—perhaps a hobby that you've been meaning to try or pick up again.

11. Be Zen and do Yoga

Practicing meditation or any form of yoga can really help you become more attuned to your body. It's also a great way to remove yourself from the stresses of everyday life and lose weight.

12. Read

Knowledge is power. Reading allows you to engage with new ideas that help you to expand your perspectives and contribute to your intellectual growth. You can read about any given topic and learn something new.

13. Have a spa day

Spa days can be great for unwinding and rejuvenating, and you can do it right in your room. Get in the relaxation mood by throwing on some comfortable clothes and sipping on detox water. Do your nails. Take a bath. Apply a facemask. There are so many creative ways to get your glow on.

14. Talk to people

Humans are a social species; we were created to socialize but not quite via social media. In fact, people greatly benefit from engaging in direct interactions with other people; you learn a lot about other people and yourself while conversing about any subject. Not to mention, actually talking to people in a face-to-face setting provides you more certainty as to whether you would consider building a friendship with this person or not.

15. Be kind

This is the simplest, most concise of all morals, yet not everyone practices it. Being kind is a reflection of who you are, what you believe in and how you see life. We've all heard this before, but it's true. The kinder you are, the better you feel, because you are able to block out any negativity that life throws your way. If you let the worst get to you, it will show in the way you carry yourself and interact with others. If you are able to combat it with kindness, you demonstrate that you are willing to accept it and move on with your life in the best, healthiest manner.