15 Underground Bands That Are Bringing Back The Early 2000s Pop Punk

If you liked Green Day, Simple Plan, Linkin Park, Blink 182, or any early 2000s pop punk/rock music, you'll love these bands.

1154
Best Kept Secret

Ever turn on the radio and think to yourself "what the hell is this crap?" I know I have. I grew up loving the pop punk music scene of early 2000, and I know a lot of other people who grew up loving it too. I can't stand turning on the car radio and hearing "Hot Line Bling" or whatever other ridiculously annoying pointless song on the radio. I have over 20 CDs in my car to keep me from turning the actual radio on. Let's take a moment and watch the video below and cherish the old pop punk music mashup.

There's no reason why you should miss the pop punk music scene of the early 2000s. Why you may ask? There's a TON of bands out there who are trying to bring back that scene, in fact it never even left! It's gone unnoticed since these bands are just local bands trying to make it big. They need your support, my support, our support to keep the scene alive. Here's a taste of today's pop punk scene.

Best Kept Secret

Best Kept Secret is a fairly new band, created in August 2015. Best Kept Secret is an Emo-Alternative band. They have a large movement called "Emo is back" it's a logo on their merchandise, and they have a large Facebook community with over 12,000 members currently, all sharing a love for music. Matt, Brady, Benji, and Jon all came together to form BKS after previous projects had ended. They quickly went on a tour just a few months after forming this new band, and they are releasing their debut album in late spring/early summer 2016. BKS's main goal is to bring back an old sound that many people have missed since the fall of the memo/alternative scene. You'll be hearing a lot more from this band in 2016 if you stay connected to the pop punk music scene. They're also the chillest group of guys too, super friendly and will always be around to lend a hand if you're feeling down and need someone to talk to.

Marina City

Marina City is another band from Chicago, Illinois, they consider their genre as "Aggressive Pop Rock." This six piece band is not like any other. They stand out from any other band at a concert. There are three vocalists in Marina City, Ryan brings power and emotion, Matt brings a smooth R&B style, and Brian brings a raw punk sound. All three bring an incredible one of a kind sound to the stage. I had the pleasure of seeing them live in December and I can honestly say I have never seen a more energetic band in my life. I went to the concert not knowing who they were, besides listening to one song an hour before, and I left the concert as a huge fan. They were that good that I was instantly hooked to their music. All six members, Ryan, Brian, Matt, Aaron, Eric, and Todor are the most energetic people on stage. You'll have a good laugh at Ryan dancing on stage.. Sorry Ryan. You'll fall in love with the band after one song. Not to mention they're the sweetest guys ever, and I'm proud to call them my friends.

7 Minutes In Heaven

This Chicago, Illinois pop punk band always has the crowd jamming out and having a good time. Originally 7 Minutes In Heaven was a solo band but eventually became a trio. They recently toured with Metro Station and they are influenced by Blink 182, and Fall Out Boy. They recently released a new EP and are working on big things for 2016. 7 Minutes In Heaven also wear "Heelys" still.. if that's not pop punk, I don't know what is. Timmy and Alex have voices that are so hard to explain, their voices are very different from each other and it makes for a great combination. Timmy, Alex, and Justin are some of the nicest guys I have ever met and they put on one hell of a show too.

Broadside

Broadside is a five piece Pop Punk/Rock band from Richmond, Virginia. Broadside was named "Top 100 bands to watch in 2015" by Alternative Press. Broadside was formed in late 2010 and in 2014 they were signed to Victory Records. Once they were signed they created their album "Old Bones." Every song on Broadside's album is an experience that every young adult can relate to. Honestly if you don't know who Broadside is, you're missing out.

An Honest Year

An Honest Year is a pop/rock band from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This five piece band quickly put their name out in 2012 and started selling out local shows. This band could be easily compared to 5 Seconds Of Summer, and All Time Low. An Honest Year has had three very successful tours, and have released three EPs so far. They are not going anywhere anytime soon, they are here to stay for a while. If you ever see them tour near you, you just HAVE to go see them. Don't pass up a chance to meet some pretty cool guys and hear some pretty good tunes.

This Is All Now

This Is All Now is a pop/rock band from Long Island, New York. TIAN was originally a five piece band but went down to just three long time friends Okan, Mike, and Louie. TIAN has been 100 percent "do it yourself" for the past four years between national tours, losing vehicles, getting robbed, and changing bass players. They have recently added Caleb, who fits perfectly in the band, and was the missing piece to their new success. TIAN brings a ton of energy to the stage and create unique music. Their Adele mashup almost has 200,000 views on Youtube, clearly showing their creativity with music. I've been supporting them for the past three years and it's incredible to see what they have done by themselves. As soon as you listen to one song, you'll be impressed and want more.

The Millenium

The Millenium is a three piece band from Eau Claire, Wisconsin. They're labeled as titanic pop/alternative. The Millenium's goal is to bring non traditional elements into their sound. They love to find ways to fuse many types of sounds and styles together. Their music always comes first, to them a good song matters more than what's "trendy" or "cool." When Matt sings, you can tell he means every word of it. His voice is incomparable, it's one of a kind. Matt, and both Kyle's have so much passion for their music, it's incredible. They're the band you want to jam out to in the shower, just try not to slip and fall.. Been there done that.

Time Atlas

This five piece alternative/pop rock band is from Minneapolis, Minnesota. They were formed in June 2015. I have just recently started listening to them and they instantly stole my heart. Time Atlas's goal is to make a difference, they want their music to touch people, even if their music just touches one person, they feel like they have done their job. Time Atlas plans on releasing more music in Spring 2016 and plan on touring in the Summer of 2016. Be on the lookout for their music and tour dates! You won't want to miss them. I'll be on the look out for a show near me and I'll be the first to get a ticket!

The Weekend Riot

The Weekend Riot is very different from all the other bands featured in this article. This duo is a pop duo from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Johnny and Bruce came together with a common mindset of a "go for broke" attitude. The Weekend Riot wasn't going to let anything get in the way of them succeeding. These two have a plan to break the mold of a conventional pop act. Both of their vocals are unique and when they blend together they create an amazing sound. They have new videos every Monday doing covers to songs, and they're pretty amazing. My personal favorite is the 5SOS cover featuring An Honest Year. Check them both out!

States//Capitals

States // Capitals is an alternative band from North Jersey. Members Jeff and Richie created this band in early 2015. Jeff and Richie came over from a previous project, during the summer of 2015 they added Richie's cousin James. This trio creates trippy music videos, and have a one of a kind sound. They released two EPs in 2015 very quickly and they are always working on new music. They're trying to get their name out and hopefully big things will be coming from them in 2016.

Royal Street

This four piece funky pop/rock band is from Providence, Rhode Island. I had the pleasure of seeing them in December for the first time and they had everyone dancing. Viana's vocals are incredible. Royal Street's songs are about growing up, moving on, overcoming, loving, leaving, and just being a person. Royal Street has the kind of music that will make someone get out of a wheel chair and start dancing too. Seriously, it's rare to find a band like this with a female vocalist. Check them out!

VISTA

VISTA was originally "Hope Vista" as a solo career but recently became "VISTA" the band. Hope is now the front woman in this incredible anthemic alternative rock trio from the Greater New York City area. VISTA is already gaining major popularity on all of the social media platforms, their singles are set to be released for late February 2016. After listening to VISTA you won't be able to forget the blonde blue lipstick beauty and her band. 2016 is the year for VISTA.

Crunkasaurus Rex

This four piece popcore/easycore band is from Indianapolis, Indiana. Crunkasaurus Rex was formed in September 2013, their goal was to not just make any kind of music, they set out to make the catchiest and happiest music. Off stage they love to joke around and have fun but on stage they take their music seriously and the jokes fade away. I got hooked on them after listening to this song and I'm obsessed, they don't disappoint.

Louder Than Words

Louder Than Words is a five piece pop/rock band from Las Vegas, Nevada. They started in August of 2015 and have been off to a great start. Their debut EP, "Letters & Lovers" was released on February 14th, 2016. With Christian, Spencer, and Johnny being the main writers, their sound is something different. They have a poppy sound along with Spencer's amazingly strong vocals and unique writing style. LTW tends to take the stage by storm during their live shows with high energy and a great overall performance. The passion every member has for the band is incredible! Stay tuned for what's to come for them this year!

Until We Get Caught

This five piece easy core/pop punk band from Staten Island, New York was formed in the late summer of 2014. They combine pop punk with the heavy elements of metal core to create an amazing sound. Their debut album "Easy There, Killer!" just came out on February 12th, 2016! If you enjoy singing along to a catchy chorus, throwing down in the pit, or have a laugh, Until We Get Caught is the band you should give a listen to!

So what are you waiting for? Check out all 15 bands above and have fun jamming out to new music. What is incredible about this list is only ONE band out of the 15 is signed. Everyone else is an unsigned band, they all make their own music. Another incredible thing is that these bands put their music up on Spotify for free instead of having you buy them, which you should still purchase their music anyways so they can continue making more. Let's get rid of "Hot Line Bling" and any other dumb song on the radio and replace it with these bands.

Support underground bands.

Bring back the 2000s.

Get rid of annoying music.

Have good music taste.