15 Life-changing Things To Do This 2017

15 Life-changing Things To Do This 2017

Because 2016 was quite an adventure.

18
15 Life-changing Things To Do This 2017
Rachel Ramirez

We survived another year. Despite all the tragedies that happened and problems we encountered in 2016, it’s time to embark in a life-changing journey this year. This list, I promise you, will change and better your life this 2017. Ready or not, here it goes.

1. Let go of negative thinking.

Last year, you probably had a plethora of pessimistic thoughts that might have interfered with a particular task or goal. This year, take time to think positive and weed out the negatives. See different angles and various aspects in an optimistic way.

2. Exercise in the morning.

No excuses. Rise and shine early in the morning before work or before classes. That “I am going to the gym after class/work” statement that never happened has to change. Go early in the morning when you still have energy, because the exhaustion you have “going after class/work” may prevent you from going and achieving your goal.

3. Go on an adventure.

It’s easy being lazy, but sometimes you just have to get up and see what the world, your city or your town has to offer. Make it your mission to discover new places, interesting streets and breathtaking scenes in your area. You would be surprised on what you might find.

4. Be brave.

Last year, there were countless times I said “I can’t do this” or “I’m scared.” This goes with the negative thinking that may eat you up and lead you to an unsuccessful road. Be courageous. Take on tasks that you never thought you could do and see where it may take you, but be safe.

5. Love your body.

Sure, there are others out there with a slimmer and sexier body but that doesn’t make their bodies better than yours. Different is unique. We all have our insecurities but understand that we are all human. Don’t stress about your body. It is more enjoyable to take the path of learning to love your body versus figuring out what’s wrong with it. You are beautiful.

6. Cook more, eat out less.

Cooking takes time and effort, but it helps with money saving. I know eating out means more convenience and Instagrammable food photos, however with a little bit of learning and art of cooking, you’ll not only have Instagram-worthy photos but also be able to save more money.

7. Weed out a few “friends.”'

Do not hold on to friends who do not show or put in the same effort as you. If you put in effort to talk to friends from back home and it is not reciprocated, don’t bother. There are better people out there. If they cherish and treasure your friendship, they will put in some, if not the same, effort. You don’t have to completely cut them off, but don’t waste your energy on something that might not be worth it after all. But at the same time keep true friends close.

8. Never mind passivity.

Fight the urge to be passive aggressive. Don’t get me wrong, I might be one of the most passive aggressive people out there, but it really does me no good. If someone is bothering you, don’t stoop to their level. Talk to them. It helps with future relationships.

9. Expose yourself to something you love.

I love writing, hiking (when the weather permits) and attending EDM festivals. It’s essential to expose yourself into a scene, environment or culture that makes you feel at home and happy. Not only will it release your stress but also lighten your mood and day.

10. Stop being angry.

We all get angry for numerous reasons: having no food, traffic, not knowing a topic, friends’ betrayal, jealousy and more. Cut it out. From now on, do not let anything ruin your day. You are in control.

11. Eat breakfast.

I can recall countless times where I’ve been told to eat breakfast and that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It is. I once woke up late for work and did not have the chance to eat. I was cranky and not feeling well until my 15-minute break. If you’re wondering why you’re cranky and not able to focus in class/work, then you might have skipped breakfast. Eating breakfast greatly impacts the way your day goes.

12. Relax.

Drink some coffee, do some yoga or get some rest. Don’t exhaust yourself too much. Exhaustion or lack of rest may lead to anger and bitterness, which will definitely ruin your day. Refrain from that. Chill out and think happy thoughts. Meditate, even.

13. Stop wasting money.

We all want things. But when it comes to paying our bills we lose our minds because we’re not financially stable to do so. Before buying something, ask yourself (out loud even), “Do I really need this?” and if you don’t, put it aside and wait for the right moment where you can treat yourself. Goal for 2017 is to save at least $2 a day in your “piggy bank.”

14. Embrace your flaws.

Don’t put pressure on yourself. Nobody’s perfect. We are all unique, so don’t let anyone step on you or put you down. Learn how to embrace your flaws and mistakes in life.

15. Lessen social media intake.

I wake up in the morning and immediately go on my phone, checking notifications I missed while sleeping and scrolling through my news feed. What might be 10 seconds turns out to be hours of scrolling and not getting anything done for the day. It’s unhealthy. Allow yourself to have some peace and time to yourself without anyone’s attention. Again, meditate and relax your mind and body.