14 Tips to Stay Motivated

14 Tips to Stay Motivated

Staying motivated is hard in general but it adds a whole new spin when you struggle with body image

13
14 Tips to Stay Motivated

Most girls today have some issue with positive body image and with all of the photoshoped images in magazines it’s easy to see why. We, yes myself included, think that we have to reach the unattainable goal to be considered beautiful or attractive and that really is not the case. I am not saying you cannot want to look better or get in shape, that’s totally okay but you should od it for the right reason. That reason being to be healthier and live a healthier lifestyle, not to look good in a bikini.

I still struggle with an eating disorder and its not easy; everyday is a battle between what I know about being healthy, what others are telling me I look like, and how I see myself in the mirror. I used to be focused on achieving a number. I had a weight goal and one of the best things I EVER did for myself was turn that weight goal into a look goal. Though its better to focus on a look than a number it doesn’t make it any easier and it takes time which is hard to handle when you look at the fact that the last time I lost weight it was about 30-35lbs over the course of only a few months, about 2 or 3, which meant on average I dropped 10lbs give or take every month. It was not good. So now that I am trying to get back into better shape for reasons ranging from being healthier to improving my ability on the diving boards I am struggling with the fact that its not happening over night so to say. I know I am not the only one out there struggling with this so I want to give anyone reading this a few tips that have helped me.

1. Find a workout buddy

It is not easy to motivate yourself to go to the gym and to motivate yourself to push your limits but it is much easier when someone is holding you accountable for it. Try finding someone who has similar goals to you or goals that line up with similar workout routines and someone who has a schedule that you can both work around.

2. Go everyday

I know it seems like a hassle and I know at first its going to seem super out of the ordinary but about two weeks of that and missing one a day or two will be enough to make you work even harder. Yes you should take one day a week to rest but try to make that day the same day every week to keep your body on a schedule. I prefer Sundays.

3. If you can't go, don't skip out

I know that life is unpredictable and some days you really just cannot make it to the gym, its understandable, but that doesn’t mean you skip a workout. Now, you can go about this one of two ways: 1) Workout at home that day. There are so many great at home workouts that you can do in as little as 5 minuets. It’s just enough to keep in the rhythm of doing something everyday. 2) Make that day your rest day. I do this one most of the time because if it is a day I can’t make it to the gym it is more than likely because I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off and by the time I get home I just want to shower and go to bed. I know it throws my routine off but I also know my limits.

4. Speaking of...Know your limits

It’s one of the most important tips I can give you. Listen to your body and if it is telling you to stop, stop. You will do yourself no good if you go to far and end up hurting yourself. In the same token, know your limits so you CAN push yourself. A little push is good, it shows us what we can do, a big push however, not so good.

5. Cardio...Everyday

The work everyone hates. You should do some form of cardio everyday. I like to do 2 miles on the elliptical before each workout to warm myself up. Some days I push myself and stay about 6 mph other days I only stay above 5 mph it all depends on what I did the day before and what else I have going on that day. If I have diving the same night I take it slower because I know I need energy for diving as well.

6. Abs...Everyday

Some people will tell you not to do abs everyday and some will. I think abs is a great way to end a workout and with my particular sport abs are key.

7. Mix it up

Don’t run the same workout everyday. Your body will get used to it and you won’t be getting any benefit from it. Do arms one day and legs the next and then back another day. Try new workouts too. Each workout works your body a little differently so don’t just squat on leg day try lunges and wall sits too.

8. Take pictures

I cannot take credit for this one that goes to Raven. I know if you struggle with body image this one is hard but it lets you see your progress. It’s much easier to see the change in a picture than looking in the mirror for hours everyday.

9. Listen to the right music

I love to listen to music when I workout but what I am listening to changes between workouts. If I am running I listen to upbeat pop music but if I am lifting that day I listen to rock. It’s about finding what works for you and running with it.

10. Set a goal...a realistic one

Setting a goal to look how you want to look in a month probably is not the best or most realistic goal to give yourself. It will stress you out trying to reach it in such a short amount of time and only make you feel worse if you don’t reach it.

11. Keep a journal

It may seem lame but your mental health is just as important as your physical and by writing down how you feel about your progress and how you are feeling as a whole will help to keep you wanting to progress even more.

12. Track what you eat

Do NOT track calories for the sake of limiting them and limiting what you are eating. It is not health and it only makes you feel bad. Track what you eat and when you eat to be more aware of the types of food you are putting in and when you are eating. If you are writing it down you will notice how many times a day you eat and many of them will be because you’re bored. This will also help you to make more healthy food choices. Sub that vending machine bag of chips for an apple or banana. Though let me say this and it is something I follow everyday: Everything in moderation INCLUDING moderation. It means you can indulge every once in a while. So eat one cookie with your lunch everyday, or treat yourself to ice cream once a week, or once a month or whatever you decide works for you. Not letting yourself have them will only make you want them more and you will binge on them and them feel worse after. Trust me, I’ve been there.

13. Enjoy what you workout in

I don’t know why but if I have on cute workout gear I am way more motivated to go to the gym. I honestly don’t know why but if it works, it works. I find things on sale and pick them up every now and again. My favorite pair or spandex came from an outlet sale over Christmas and only cost me 10 dollars. Not to mention they don’t have to be Nike or Under Armor, that same pair of spandex that I swear by came from Aeropostale.

14. Patience

It won’t happen overnight and I know it’s frustrating but it will happen. Keep your head up and think of how amazing you will feel when you reach your goal. It will be worth it in the end, I promise.