14 Signs You Played Small School Sports In Idaho

Because sports were not only the lifeblood of your town, but also the reason you got through school in the first place

14
Heather Crawford

No matter your sport, if you played small school sports in Idaho, you know these 14 things to be true:

1. There will be snow

Whether it's fall football or spring softball, there will be a day when you will practice/play in the snow. And if you're lucky, your coach will let you wear Underarmor. If you're lucky (I'm looking at you Tim Tom.)

2. The bus rides

There is no such thing as a short bus ride. Short is 45 minutes to the closest neighboring town that isn't even in your conference. On the plus, it's plenty of time to sleep and bond with the team. On the down side, the AD probably won't let you miss school the next day no matter how late you get in.

3. Knowing everyone on the other team by name

And not "the chick with the green cleats and long ponytail", their actual names, what grade they are, who their siblings are (cause you play them too) and which ones are their parents yelling in the stands.

4. Parents from the other team knowing you by name

Because you saw each other at fair a few months ago and you basically see them every other week during school because you and their child play each other in at least three sports. They know you by name and feel free to yell at you during the game. Off the court, your families may even be friends.

5. Playing more than just one sport

It's odd if you only play one sport. Really odd. The soccer team becomes the basketball team and the basketball team becomes the softball squad and then it all starts over again.

6. You've played with the same kids since you could walk

T-ball, soccer, football, cheer, volleyball, it's all the same kids and you've all been together since before you could walk. It's where your best friends were made and when your high school senior night will involve more than one picture of you and your best friend playing together with cute pigtails and chubby cheeks.

7. The bonding hatred of 5A schools

There's one thing stronger than your hatred of each other, the hatred you share for 5A sports. Whether it's their high-handed manner or the fact their bus rides ARE only an hour, the small schools will always band together against them

8. You've played against the same people since sixth grade

With the exception of a few random new kids, the post you're boxing out your senior year is the same girl you 'accidentally' elbowed in sixth grade. Off the court, she's also your friend.

9. That one mom that basically adopts the teams and is your second mom no matter the time of year

She's nice, she brings you food, she yells at the ref and has no problem marching into the AD's office to defend your team. And it doesn't matter if you're not on the same team as her kid, she's there, at all the games, for all the sports, cheering her loudest and you all love her (thank you Kimmi).

10. The principal/history teacher/AD/office lady has given you advice in the hallway and made you late to class

They also probably coached you at some point and even though they're not your official coach anymore, they never stopped thinking of you as their player and you may still call them coach

11. People will stop you in the grocery store to talk about your game

You may or may not recognize them by name, but you recognize their face and probably know them as "the old man who sits in the third row at church." They're almost always well-meaning and will gladly tell you about their time as a young stud back when men wore short shorts and there was no three-point line in basketball

12. The bus will break down

Probably in winter. Probably out of cell service. Probably when your phone is about to die. You'll all huddle under your blankets and resign yourself to getting only a few hours of sleep because unless you get in at six in the morning or you're the boys basketball team, you won't get to miss first period.

13. Your club team is the same as your high school team

Because everyone that wants to play in the town, is already on the team. There's no one hiding out or anyone who got cut (because no one gets cut). It may be summer, but it's the same people you played with in season. Some of your team may be missing, but they'll pop in for the odd practice. You'll run the same plays, with the same people doing the same thing they did months ago. It's basically high school season 2.0 with longer bus rides.

14. You wouldn't have it any other way

Even though you got in at one in the morning more times than you can count, and you spent more hours on a bus than you did playing, and your uniform was the same one your mom wore back in the 70's, you wouldn't change your athletic career for anything. And when that final whistle blows on your final game, you'll cry because no matter what, this time as a high school athlete was some of the best moments of your life.