12 Random Items Every College Student Needs

Whatever you do, bring a sleeping bag.

28

Packing for college can be a nightmare for any student, but this is especially the case for incoming freshmen. Here are 12 items that you should definitely pack, even if you don't think you will ever use them. Ranging from cleaning necessities to classic games, it is a diverse list that barely scratches the surface of what you will actually need, but be sure you bring everything on it. I can guarantee that if you do, you will thank me later, and if you don't, you can't say I didn't warn you.

1. Deck of Cards

These won’t take up too much room in one of your bags. Cards are the perfect ice breaker for any new friend group; they are also perfect for killing time before classes start. Get a game going in a public area and you might even meet a few new people!

2. Broom

Those hard tile floors can get pretty gross really fast between all the cereal crumbs and dirt from your shoes. Talk to your roommate(s) and make sure someone brings one.

3. Sleeping Bag

I saw this on multiple packing lists my freshmen year. Did I bring one? No. Did I think I would need one? No. Was I wrong? Yes. Whatever you do, bring a sleeping bag. Don’t make the same mistake I did.

4. Baking Supplies

Even if you don’t love some baking therapy, minimal baking supplies will definitely come in handy, whether you use them for a midnight batch of chocolate chip cookies or a friend’s birthday cake. Some good things to have include flour, sugar, baking soda, vanilla, salt, pepper, mixing bowl, large spoon, glass cake pan (you can make anything in those!), and measuring utensils. On a side note: Can openers are actually useful.

5. Journal

Write down your thoughts. Write down your memories. Write down your feelings. Write down the good things and the bad things that happened, the things you want to remember, and the things you want to forget. Just write.

6. Planner

I prefer a physical planner like this one over an app on my phone; it makes me feel more organized than I actually am and the battery never dies. Crossing off what I have finished also gives me a sense of accomplishment. You will need one to keep track of work, meetings, classes, clubs, homework assignments, due dates, and other social activities. It can get overwhelming trying to keep everything straight in your head, so do yourself a favor and write it down.

7. Yoga Mat

Even if you aren't going to be doing yoga on a beach, yoga is a great way to de-stress at the end of the day or to get in an early morning workout before classes without even having to leave your room.

8. Drying Rack

Just so you know, everything can go in the dryer—you just might not like the way everything comes out. Be smart and hang dry your delicate items (and maybe your jeans?). Also, if laundry costs money at your school, save yourself some change for important things like coffee.

9. Granola Bars

You are not always going to want to run to your school cafeteria for a snack, and you are not always going to want to leave your room. These are a great healthy snack for in between classes or for while you are studying. Don’t starve.

10. Good Travel Mug

You will need your coffee, you will not always have time to drink your coffee, and you will not always want to buy your coffee. Be smart and bring it with you to your 7:45 A.M. classes you can’t get out of. Also bring it to your necessary late night study sessions in the library.

11. ID Pouch

Your student ID will become an extension of your body. You cannot go anywhere without it, and believe me; it is an (expensive) hassle when you lose it. Clip it on to your key ring and never leave your room without it.

12. Checks

Who uses checks anymore, right? You never know when you are actually going to need one. This is one small step in your endeavors to "adult."