12 Life Lessons We Can All Learn From Baseball

The game that can train you for the rest of your life.

5759
Four Five Longhorns

Baseball is one of the few things that most Americans can agree on. That's why it's America's pastime. So many people love it and once you fall in love with it, there's no going back at all. I fell in love with it at an extremely young age, and it has stuck with me ever since. At first I thought it of as just a sport, but with maturing I realized that it is so much more. It has taught me so many life lessons, lessons that I will never forget.

1. Never give up. No matter what you do, you never need to give up. Giving up means that you don't care anymore.

2. It's OK to strike out. Striking out does not mean the end of the world. It's OK to fail sometimes. It just means that you're human.

3. Do your absolute best. Anything that isn't your best is unacceptable. Choosing to do anything sub-par ends with sub-par results.

4. Teamwork is the best work. Working with a team is the best way to accomplish a goal.

5. Keep your eye on the ball. Always keep your eye on a goal. That goal is what you consider to be make it, break it situation. So, make it a make it situation.

6. Aim for the fences. Try to reach your goal in any way possible. You might not reach it the very first time, but at least you're trying to follow your dreams.

7. Always swing hard. Always try your best. That's when all of your experience, knowledge, and training pay off.

8. Cheaters never win. If you're going to do something, do it right. Success is not achieved through shortcuts.

9. Sacrifice is necessary in the most crucial moments. In baseball, during the last moments of a game, a player can be told to do a sacrifice bunt or fly to get a run in, but getting out themselves. Sometimes you have to sacrifice your wants/needs for the better of others.

10. You can't do everything by yourself. Although you may want to do everything by yourself, you will need the help of others. They can help you reach that goal you've been desperate to reaching.

11. Your brain is your most important muscle. Most people think that baseball is a sport of muscle. And it is, but the brain helps you more than anything. Muscle is important, but it can't solve everything like your brain does.

12. If it's what you love, never stop loving it. Baseball is a sport that I love, but unfortunately, I had to give up playing it. But I have learned to love it in a different way, by loving the art of it. I love watching it, thinking about what the next play is going to be. And I have accepted that that is the way I have to love it.

Baseball was my life at one point. I lived it, breathed it, dreamed it, and loved it. And in that, it has taught me so many lessons that I am thankful for and that I will use for the rest of my life.