12 Easy Ways To Get Through Finals

12 Easy Ways To Get Through Finals

A survival guide for the worst time of the year.

14
12 Easy Ways To Get Through Finals

It's that time of the year again, which means colder weather, shorter days, and -- oh, yeah -- finals are here. Stress levels are high and focus is low when all we want to do is just go home, but to help us get through these last few painful days, here is a list of the 12 best tactics to keep our brains happy and healthy for the home stretch of the semester.

1. Indulge

Stress can bring out some your ugly side, such as the monster that eats everything in its path. I'm telling you to embrace this monster; treat this monster right! Studies have shown eating our favorite foods increase mood -- but I'm sure you already knew that. Aside from that, however, there are certain foods that are certified to boost brain power, which all of us need a little of from time to time. These foods include eggs, berries, avocados, dark chocolate, and kale. It's important to maintain a balanced diet so our bodies stand the best chance against the stress finals can bring to them. Besides, you're too busy studying to count calories, right?

2. Take a nap (and cuddle, too)

You've probably heard it a million times to get the right amount of sleep during a stressful time; I say get the right amount of sleep in. Always. Plus some more, but that's just me. However, you don't always need the full eight, consecutive hours to achieve that well-rested mind. Power naps are resourceful tools college kids are notorious for using in almost any location and at any time. They can range from 20 minutes to two hours, or whatever amount of time you have available, as long as you use it wisely. Throwing in a cuddle-buddy during your nap, whether it's a best friend or a significant other, yields positive results and can even provide more rest to the napper; loneliness does nothing to help stress, so finding companionship, even while unconscious, creates a happier environment which allows the brain to relax more during sleep. So, find a good blanket and a comfy position and catch those Z's.

3. Watch a scene from your favorite move or TV show

During finals, free time is limited between cramming last minute information in and finishing up those edits on your paper. Odds are, watching a full movie or episodes to boost your mood or get some relaxation in isn't going to happen, but that doesn't mean you can't hit up Netflix for a minute or two. Watching a scene from your favorite movie or TV show is bound to entertain you, give you a laugh, or inspire you to put work in, as long as it doesn't go past 10 minutes or so. For me, I always go to my favorite episode of "New Girl" just to get in a good belly laugh, then get back to work, happier than before and more willing to put my nose to the grindstone. Plus, it's also nice to tear your eyes away from tiny text in a book or an 8-page research paper.

4. Call mom, dad, or anyone

If you're drowning in studying, here's the best life preserver of all: mom or dad. Maybe even a sister or brother. They're just a phone call away or, if you're lucky, a short drive away. If you can't get to lunch with them, though, sometimes just hearing their voice is enough to keep your head above the waters. For me, listening to my mom talk about her day calms me down within seconds. Also, it's good to know you always have a support system back at home, there for you whenever to encourage you and keep you motivated.

5. Take a deep breath

This classic tactic for easing stress may seem a little redundant, but it never fails. Studies have shown inhaling for four seconds through the nose, holding that breath for seven, then exhaling through the mouth for eight seconds calms the body down with immediate effect, clearing the mind and easing tension in muscles and the spine. However, don't do too many of those; just four cycles of the 4-7-8 breathing exercise are supposed to put you to sleep in 60 seconds!

6. Make time for a quick exercise break

There's no better way to get the juices flowing than with a little burn. If you find yourself stuck in a rut, slowly sinking into self-pity, and unable to climb out of the hole your procrastination dug, stand up and start moving. Sitting still for so long can put your brain into a stupor; sitting is for resting, for relaxing, for getting comfortable. While it's nice to be comfortable when settling in to write a 10-page paper, finals are when our brains work the most. To keep them in tip-top shape, we need to ignite some fire in the rest of us; getting the blood flowing helps speed up thought processes and makes it easier to focus on an activity, like studying. Leg warmers become something of a necessity during finals season.

7. Put the phone away

In this day and age, you hardly ever see anyone without a phone. Since they're so much a part of our lives, it's nearly impossible to even think about turning them off or leaving them in your room when you make a trek to the library. What if you get a text? Or what if something exciting happens on Twitter? Surely, you wouldn't be able to focus at all if you left your phone behind, right? On the contrary, the saying "out of sight, out of mind" works wonders; a phone within reach is more distracting than worrying about a phone out of reach. If it's absolutely necessary to have a phone with you, try turning on "Do Not Disturb" or shutting the phone off altogether, then putting it in your backpack or in the hands of a friend. Instagram will still be there when you're done, I promise.

8. Take a walk

Much like exercising, taking a walk can help ease stress by getting the body to move. Even a lap around your dorm or apartment floor is enough to refresh the brain; a change of scenery helps to clear the mind, while also recreating a new environment that can contribute to a boost in mood.

9. Listen to your favorite song

Listening to your favorite song is a quick and easy way to get yourself pumped up; while it spikes your mood, it also takes some stress off the shoulders. Perhaps the song reminds you of a happier time. As long as you don't get caught up in the memories or daydreams, creating a playlist for background music while you work is an efficient way to keep you consistently positive. So pick the right jams to set the mood and get to work! Which reminds me...have any of you guys heard the song "Closer" by the Chainsmokers?

10. Just cry it out

Let's face it: No matter how great our study habits are or how well we followed the rubric, sometimes the pressure is just going to get to us. Finals have never been easy, and most likely, they won't get any easier. According to this study, shedding tears can be a huge and very healthy emotional release, particularly if you are experiencing deep pain, sadness, anger, or stress -- all things that finals are known to bring. It also says that 9 in 10 people found tears to be a good way to release pent-up feelings; they felt calmer, more relaxed, and relatively happier than they were before hitting the breaking point. Get yourself one of those Kleenex-to-go packs at Walgreens, and you'll be set for finals week.

11. Dance it out

While part of me just wanted to include this "New Girl" gif, I also am recognizing all that dancing has done for me. It coincides with listening to your favorite song; usually, your favorite song elicits some sort of movement from you, especially if it pumps you up. As one of the reigning queens of wedding dance floors, I'm apt to move at just about any song one could play. I consider a dance break to be more than just an exercise break because it not only gets the blood flowing, it undoubtedly will boost your mood, too.

12. Give up

Just kidding, don't do that. But it's also okay to know your limits and to come to terms with what you've done while knowing what you're capable of. As long as you did your best, sometimes throwing in the towel a little early is the right thing to do.