11 Quotes For When You Feel Defeated

11 Quotes For When You Feel Defeated

For every moment you are feeling defeated, there is a quote that will uplift your spirit.

4847
11 Quotes For When You Feel Defeated
Giulia Bertelli

When you're a college student, or even a high school student, times can get pretty tough, and sometimes you're going to feel like you're letting everyone down around you. I've had that feeling so many times before, and let me tell you something: you are more than likely NOT letting anyone down just because you are struggling with things. Everyone struggles with something at some point in their lives, and it is no one else's place to judge or criticize how you're doing. There are many ways you can go about working toward feeling like yourself again. For instance, you could drink coffee, take a personal mental health day (my favorite kind of days off to take), or you can look for outside inspiration, encouragement, and motivation.

Everything seems to be very negative, especially with all of the violence shown on the news every night. I wanted to be a light for others to use to brighten their days, so I've compiled a list of 11 quotes to uplift your spirit.

1. Job 8:7

The verse reads, "And though you started with little, you will end with much" (NLT). This verse hits home for me because of the trouble I have faced this year, and I felt like my place in this world was small and minute. Whenever I forget what I'm doing and why I am doing it, I remember this verse and I feel hope for myself.

2. "Remember that failure is an event, not a person."

This quote is by Zig Ziglar, American author and motivational speaker. I think that this is a good quote for uplifting your spirit, especially when you've failed at something like a test, or a project, or getting that promotion, or anything in life.

3. "We know what we are, but we know not what we may be."

This is a good quote by William Shakespeare for when you are trying to figure out who you are and what you'll become. It's completely okay if you have no idea where you are going in life; most don't.

4. Romans 8:28

The verse reads, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." This is a good quote for Christians who are feeling lost or are very confused about the events that have happened to them. I just want you to know that it is very okay to be confused about things. God works in very mysterious ways. In the end, everything will be okay because it is God's plan for you.

5. "Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." -Rabindranath Tagore

This is perfect for when your headspace is clouded and your mood is lower than low. Remember that not every cloud in your life is meant to bring rain.

6. "Believe you can and you're halfway there." -Theodore Roosevelt

Believing in yourself can be hard. Teddy Roosevelt really hit it on the head when he said this. Believing that you can do anything you set yourself to is the first step to getting to where you are going.

7. "Put your heart, mind, and soul into even your smallest acts. This is the secret of success." -Swami Sivananda

It's no surprise that when you have a passion for something, it will show in what you do, how you speak, and how you present yourself.

8. "We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell

Sometimes letting go can be the hardest part about accepting who we are and where we are in life. That anguish? It's small compared to where you are going and wait is waiting for you. I think this really ties in with Job 8:7 in that once you let go of the fact that you started with little, the plan for your life will yield you with many great things.

9. "No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." -Aesop

Always be kind, even if it doesn't seem to prove profitable at the time.

10. "Believe in yourself and don't let nobody stop you from doing what you gotta do." -Tupac (2pac) Shakur

Tupac really hit it home with this. This quote goes well with the concept of getting that "grind," meaning that you are working hard and doing the things you have to do.

11. "Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent." -Steve Martin

To end on a positive note, Steve Martin is correct with the sentiment of this: you don't have to be great at everything naturally, and in most cases, most people aren't. That Olympic athlete? They trained for a decade to get to go to the Olympics. That singer? They took four years of singing lessons BEFORE auditioning on that singing competition.

All in all, believe in yourself, stay positive about the outcomes of your life, and do the things you have to do, regardless of what anyone says, thinks, or feels about it.