11 Great Things That Came Out Of 2016

11 Great Things That Came Out Of 2016

As we all prepare to ring in the new year, let's celebrate the shining stars in an otherwise tragic year.

637
11 Great Things That Came Out Of 2016
Huffington Post

Kylie was right: 2016 was the year of realizing things. Unfortunately, most of those things weren't good. We all know that 2016 was an incredibly bizarre time to be alive. You might be trying to convince yourself that 2017 will be infinitely better, or that 2016 wasn't that bad. This article is here to help. May it give you the strength you need to go confidently into the new year.

1. Pokémon Go.

2016 was definitely a hallmark year for nostalgic 90s kids. Pokémon Go, an app for iPhone and Android, brought the original 151 pocket monsters to the real world. For a meager three months, it got die-hard fans and newcomers off the couch and out into the world. Some thought it might change the world with its ability to bring different groups of people together, some thought it might combat childhood obesity. Despite its lack of staying power, Pokémon Go brought a sense of hope and childlike wonder to 2016 that we would definitely need in the months to come.

2. Free Gucci.

East Atlanta rapper, Gucci Mane, was incarcerated in 2013. Upon being released in May of 2016, he went straight to the recording studio. Gucci Mane emerged from prison a new man with new priorities . He shed 75 lbs and recently proposed to his girlfriend of seven years, who stuck around through his prison sentence. Again, Gucci Mane's impressive lifestyle changes give us all hope. Remember him as you concoct your New Year's resolutions.

3. Leo finally got his Oscar.

The weeks leading up to the 88th Oscars Awards proved to be a big time for Leonardo DiCaprio. There was a meme or gif on hand that prepared the world for both wins and losses, and before that, a series of memes that highlighted the fact that Leo had 27 nominations and zero Oscars to show for it. In the end, he won his first ever Oscar for his role in "The Revenant" and the internet exploded with praise, snark, and masterfully executed memes. Leo's win just goes to show that hard work and method acting go a long way. Good for you, Leo. Now, get out of that bear carcass.

4. TSwift Exposed.

The controversy surrounding Kanye West's lyrics about Taylor Swift in his song "Famous" quickly became the most iconic celebrity beef of 2016. The whole world seemed to suddenly divide into Team Swift or Team Kardashian-West. For the sake of everyone's sanity, let's keep this incredibly convoluted dispute simple: TSwift started it, stating that Kanye's lyrics were offensive and he didn't have her permission to say them. Kim K very quickly and calmly released a series of Snapchat videos on her story. They were recordings of the conversation in which she gave her consent to be mentioned in the song. Stars like Demi Lovato, Chloe Grace Moretz, Zendaya, Katy Perry, and the rest of the Kardashian clan began tweeting about the controversy with varying degrees of vagueness. Kardashian fans littered TSwift's Instagram with snake emojis, and Taylor -- in very Taylor Swift fashion -- threatened litigation. This controversy was such a trainwreck it was hard not to watch. It was a very welcome break from the harsh realities of 2016.

5. "Lemonade."

She did it again. Not only was "Lemonade" an incredible album, complete with a music video premiere on HBO, but Bey kicked off 2016 with a Super Bowl halftime performance to end all performances. We can only hope that Queen Bey continues to smash the proverbial windows of 2017 with another visually stunning album.

6. "Stranger Things."

Who wasn't blown away by "Stranger Things?" It was the good, old-fashioned thriller with a heart of gold that no one knew they needed. This breakout cast of young actors gives us something to look forward to in the future and reassures us all that Winona Ryder's still got it. If 2017 turns out to be a dud, at least you can be thankful you're not trapped in the Upside Down.

7. Gavin.

In the age of memes, the saying that a picture is worth a thousand words has never been truer. Gavin, an expressive 5-year-old, took the internet by storm with his pained and deadpan expressions. He first appeared on Vine a few years ago, but his superstardom wasn't fully realized until this year. He is now one of the most popular reaction memes out there. Let's hope that Gavin only gets funnier with age.

8. Joanne the Scammer.

Honesty. Truly. If you haven't met Branden Miller's iconic alter ego yet, you've missed out. Joanne the Scammer lives her life on other peoples' money, and she's not sorry about it. She has a hilarious Twitter presence that's devoted to being messy and petty. All she needs is her fur coat, blonde bob, and your PayPal information, please.

9. The "Gilmore Girls" Revival.

A beautifully done revival, "Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life" pairs nicely with the original show. It continued the same fast-talking, yet slow-moving pace that all GG fans have come to know and love. The four-part series culminates in a major shock that leaves us all wanting more. If you haven't heard those final words yet, or haven't seen the original show, they're both on Netflix, and they are both worth watching. I dare you not to fall in love with Amy Sherman-Palladino's well-rounded, lovable characters.

10. "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them."

JK Rowling's ideas come to life once again! 2016 was full of reboots and revivals, but none were as highly anticipated as the next part of the Harry Potter franchise, "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them." The movie doesn't disappoint, featuring a star-studded cast (Eddie Redmayne, Colin Farrell), and thrilling special effects. Catch "Fantastic Beasts" while its still in theaters.

11. Kermit Memes.

No one had a better year than Kermit the Frog. Did Jim Henson, creator of "The Muppets," ever think that Kermit would be the crown jewel of social media? I don't think so. Kermit's latest meme evolution has manifested itself as "hooded Kermit" or "inner me" memes that let his dark side show. This is not the first Kermit meme, and it surely won't be the last. What will Kermit bring us in 2017?