23 Songs That Aren't Halloween Songs But Still Spooky

A playlist to bring on the scary vibes even after October 31st.

1923
http://www.publicdomainpictures.net

Every fall, internet users across the United States rejoice in the arrival of fall and exalt the blessed holiday that is All Hallows' Eve. I could not tell you why the internet loves Halloween so much. I am not huge on the holiday, but I do like hopping on hype trains. Throwing the best Halloween party this side of Elm Street is also not my forte, but if you want to turn up the spooks more than just one day of the year then boy, do I have the playlist for you. Reader beware; this is not your average Monster Mash playlist.

1. Somebody's Watching Me by Rockwell

Starting the list off strong with a 1980s one hit wonder classic. Paranoid lyrics, creepy story, that organ in the beginning all concoct this song a staple of many Halloween playlists.

2. Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode

It was hard to choose only one Depeche Mode song with creepy overtones because, come on, all of Depeche Mode's music fit on the darker end of new wave.

3. Hazmat Suits by Kyle Dixon and Micheal Stein from the Stranger Things soundtrack

Choosing the Stranger Things intro would have been too easy, but luckily for us the soundtrack provides a plethora of creepy tunes. I heard Hazmat Suits play on speakers at my local zoo during its Halloween event. Definitely made walking past the petting zoo more unsettling.

4. Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by Eurythmics

Buckle up, because you will be seeing a lot of 80s new wave. Why did new wave sound so dark?

5. Dance Off by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis feat. Idris Elba

If the organ gives away its haunted vibes, maybe the scream at the two minutes and 22 seconds will. Who would have thought Macklemore would appear on this kind of list?

6. Let the Music Play by Shannon

Listen to that pew-pew bassline that sounds like shots from a gun in a cheesy science fiction tv show. There is something about this dance pop track that crosses the lines between superficial pop and supernatural.

7. Maniac by Michael Sembello

Ah, yes, the song that sounds like it should fit in a horror movie soundtrack, not the cheesy romance Flashdance movie. "She had danced into the danger zone," "It can cut you like a knife," and "She's a maniac at your door," look at me in the face and tell me how normal that sounds.

8. Weird Science by Oingo Boingo

Perhaps spooky would not be the word to describe Weird Science. Maybe unnerving? The music video is certainly creepy from the deranged facial expressions to nonsensical Frankenstein-esque operation happening. Weird Science has to be the most upbeat song on this list, so try not to sit too comfortably.

9. Government Hooker by Lady Gaga

Well, it was either this song or Bloody Mary from the same album. Lady Gaga knows how to make modern dance pop creepy. Honestly? I'm into it.

10. Why Me by Planet P Project

I have never heard of this song before making the list, but all you have to do is listen to the first 30 seconds of this song to understand why it is here.

11. Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go 12 inch Vers. by Soft Cell

Everyone knows Tainted Love, at least, those infamous sirens that Rihanna sampled in S.O.S. It turns a creepy corner at the 4:20 mark, which is why I chose the longer version of the song. Those menacing snaps that carry throughout the whole song. Why do I feel like some 1950s boy gang is stalking me with their menacing snaps?

12. Sunglasses at Night by Corey Hart

Hey, guess what? It is another new wave song from the 80s. Surprised? Well, don't be. I could have made this whole playlist 80s new wave if I really felt like it.

13. Demons by Zeds Dead

I really wanted to include a creepy EDM song because those drops can be frightening (see also: dubstep). I blame the minor keys for the song's spooky feel. Also, the music video is a dance battle with the devil.

14. Bacterial Contamination by Kanimiso-P feat. Hatsune Miku

This song was made possible by a voice synthesizer program known as VOCALOID the software sings whatever words you type. The most popular VOCALOID known by producers and fans in Hatsune Miku, who provides the voice you hear in this song while Kanimiso-P is the artist who produced the music and used VOCALOID software. There are multiple interpretations for this song, but the most popular one is that the girl in the music video is a victim of bullying, making her feel attacked by parasites and unwanted.

A word of warning: do not watch if body horror makes you queasy.

15. Every Breath You Take by The Police

Creepy lyrics, monotonous melody, sung by an 80s British group, this song checks off all of the boxes for certified scary.

16. Oblivion by Grimes

Of course I had to add Grimes. How she mixes spooks with synth I will never know, but her reverbed vocals and the melody that starts the song off and carries throughout creeps me out as well.

17. Night Time, My Time by Sky Ferreira

Off-putting, to say the least. The instruments, the music video, heavy reverb all make a strong case for why Night Time, My Time makes the list.

18. Thriller by Michael Jackson

Now before you call me out on cheating, hear me out for a second. His music video may scream Halloween, but the song and iconic video was revealed on MTV in December. So, there, not technically Halloween.

19. Secrets by The Weeknd

The fact that The Weeknd samples two songs from 80s new wave, Talking in Your Sleep by The Romantics and Pale Shelter by Tears for Fears, tells you what kind of song this is going to be. Atmospheric, dreamy, but the cinematography of the video (some shots remind me of horror films) makes this song sound just haunting enough to make this list.

20. Endorphin by Burial

Hailed by Pitchfork as one of the most important electronic albums of our time, Burial's music hangs around on the apocalyptic outskirts of electronic music. It was hard to pick only one song from Untrue, but I went with Endorphin.

21. Maneater by Hall & Oates

Last 80s song, I swear, but how could I have not added this song? With a track title like Maneater, there is just no doubt about it. The first line Daryl Hall sings, "You only come out at night" sets off the spooky synths and ominous "Ooh, here she comes" vocals.

22. The Shining (Original Halloween Mix) by Cazzette

Ever wanted to hear an EDM mix of horror movie classic The Shining? Well, then uou came to the right place. There surprising drops followed by a brusque and high pitch scream. Of course, Cazzette also incorporated the famous "Here's Johnny!" line. Happy Halloween.

23. Heads Will Roll by Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Another classic associated with Halloween, not not explicit stated. I still have a hard time believing this came out in 2009. It sounds like haunted disco.

Have fun with these bone-chilling bops.