10 Tips For My Brother In High School

10 Tips For My Brother In High School

I learned so you wouldn't have to.

22
10 Tips For My Brother In High School
Abigail Fillmore

Blake, there are 10 pieces of advice I wish someone would have told me as a freshman. Now, I pass them on to you.

1. Be like Nike and “Just Do It!”

That major project that is hovering over you like the black cloud of death, is NOT going to do itself. The papers, projects, and simple homework assignments all add up to this magical cumulative number called your GPA and once it drops, good luck getting it back up!

2. Class is NOT optional

I know you have that one teacher that rambles on and on and it takes everything in you not to fall asleep, but go anyways. Yes, it sounds like more fun to shoot hoops or sneak to McDonald’s with your friends (not saying from experience) but save yourself the embarrassment of that teacher catching you skipping. Go!

3. You are not a label

You are not an artist or an athlete or a musician. You are Blake. Don’t stick yourself in a box and limit your potential. If you define yourself as one thing, other people will too and won’t encourage you in new adventures. Don’t be a jock or nerd or whatever the kids say these days. Be Blake; he’s pretty great.

4. All things are temporary

You’re a freshman and although now upper-classmen may be mean, they once sat where you sit; don’t listen to them. That girl you were in love with last week, that broke your heart, one day will mean nothing when you look up and see your bride in all white. Seasons change, people come and go, and everything will pass. Good, bad, ugly, pain, joy sadness, it is all temporary. Don’t let one event drag you down.

5. No, you actually don’t know

Don’t tell mom and dad, but they actually are right. They know what they’re talking about, you don’t. No, they don’t walk the halls with you and see everything you do, but they have seen their fair share of life and can probably understand your situation better than you think. Trust them. Mom and dad are your best allies, don’t be guilty of friendly-fire.

6. Like what YOU like

I’m in college and my hobbies include: announcing sports, coloring, playing ping pong, and hiding a stuffed llama from my roommates. Who cares? You don’t like that? Oh well, it’s not your life. Don’t get sucked into thinking that you can’t like or enjoy something because it isn’t “cool” or “popular”. If you enjoy underwater basket weaving and someone discourages you, kindly smile at them and say, “thank you for your concern, I’ll consider that while I finish my next basket”. Conversation done.

7. Every Ovechkin meets their Crosby

Which is my sporty (bias) way of saying that there will always be someone better than you. Whether it’s art, grades, sports, someone in the world is better. For example, Jarnell Stokes thought he was a fantastic ball player and went to the NBA, however, he didn’t catch the memo that there was plenty of players that were stronger, taller, and all around better than him. He buckled down and worked harder and now he gets more playing time. Now, don’t take this as a negative thing, let it fuel you to become better! Show people that you are a fierce competitor, but never get caught up in trying to be the best!

8. Like my Daddy use to say, “You had a GOOD chance to stay out of this!”

Lots of things are said in high school and you always have a choice: 1) Listen and be sucked in or 2) Turn around and walk away. I think you’ll find the second option to be best. The last thing you want in high school is added stress, trust me filling out college applications will give you enough of that! Do yourself a favor and kindly bow out as soon as someone looks over their shoulder, either they’re about to tell an offensive joke or rumors are a brewin'.

9. You can NEVER win a competition you didn’t enter.

Every time you decide to skip youth group, or not go to that movie with your friends, or be involved in that school club that looks interesting, you are missing a chance to live. Don’t regret high school. You have the world at your fingertips! You have no serious responsibility besides school, there is freedom in not being an adult and you can miss it like so many other people do. Cheer to loud at football games, wink at girls at the mall, join the pottery club because you want to make an ugly mug and give it to your mom so she has to pretend to like it, why not? Have fun buddy, don’t abuse the fun, but enjoy it!

10. Make High School a chapter of your life, NOT the whole book.

High school is wonderful, it really is. You are going to make friends, learn amazing things, find your passions in life, and fall in love for the first time. But don’t make the mistake of finding your purpose down those halls. No college or job application asks if you were popular in high school; it’s irrelevant. Those four years are helping to create you into the man you will be, but when you walk across that stage on graduation they don’t check your Instagram followers to see if you were cool enough for a diploma. Enjoy it, but one day when you tell your kids goofy stories around they table, they’re going to think you’re the hero of the story whether you scored the winning touchdown or you got caught drag racing in your mom’s car. High school is fun, but life is more than those four walls.