10 Thoughts Every Runner Has When They Decide To Get Back Into Shape

1. I am going into cardiac arrest
166

In honor of running this summer and getting back into shape with some friends, I have taken the liberty to gather some thoughts from fellow runners on getting back into shape. Running feels so great after you do it and its over, but during the actual run, many thoughts go through a person's head.

Here are 10 thoughts runners have when getting back into shape.

1. I am going into cardiac arrest

Your heart and lungs are not ready for this much exercise and you feel as if death is upon you.

2. It's only 3 miles, I got this

You have to pump yourself up for this. It could be a matter of weeks or maybe even months since the last time you ran. All you want to do is sit on the couch and be lazy, but no more. You can do this.

3. This is it. This is the end

Everything in your body is screaming at you to stop and you don't know how you could possibly survive this. You see the light at the end of the tunnel and realize this is how you will die.

4. Why do I even run?

Honestly, I feel this is thought every run or workout ever.

5. I could turn around at this point, it isn't too late

There comes a point when turning around isn't an option. Any time before that, the thought of turning around sounds like the greatest thing in the world.

6. Alright, the halfway point is long gone now, I just have to keep pushing

Then, you reach the point of no return and you just want to cry. Now, if you were to turn around, it would just be longer to get back to the start.

7. Oh, is that a cramp I feel? I guess that means I have to take a small break

That usually lasts a lot longer than what it should last.

8. There aren't any cars around, I could start walking

This may cross your mind, but you know if you actually follow through you won't ever start running again. You will end up walking the rest of the way back, and that will take so much longer. Might as well push through to the end.

9. I can see the stopping point, but it seems so far away

When you get to the point where you can actually see the end, it seems as if whenever you take a step, the endpoint moves farther away.

10. How did I let myself get this out of shape?

At the end of it all, when you're huffing and puffing, you have a moment to realize just how out of shape you are. It hits you and you wonder how you got here, and that thought is enough to make yourself go through all of this again tomorrow.