10 Things I Wish I Knew Before My Wisdom Teeth Were Pulled

Yup, that cute chipmunk-y face is mine. Enjoy.

4548
Chloe Kent Photography

Wisdom Teeth Removal: A surgery that some look forward to and others fear. Regardless of when or how you get them removed, here are some things I wish I knew before my surgery.

1. You are not going to feel any real pain during the procedure.

Assuming that you are going to an experienced and professional oral surgeon, you will not feel any pain. Even if you're not sedated, the surgeon will use topical numbing products, novocaine, and/or laughing gas. All of these products will completely numb your mouth.

2. The surgery really isn't a big deal.

Honestly, I thought this surgery was going to be the end of me. But it wasn't, and I was lucky because my teeth were barely impacted. And even if your teeth are in worse shape, it is still one of the least dangerous procedures in the medical field.

3. Your tongue and lower lips will feel REALLY weird after surgery.

I got a major kick playing with my lips and tongue after surgery, considering that they felt like excess fat on my mouth. Also, the anesthesia will give you the infamous post wisdom teeth lisp.

4. You will have gauze in your mouth after the surgery, do not choke on it.

I know everyone thinks it's funny when you try talk after surgery with a mouth full of gauze. Trust me, my snapchat friends definitely enjoyed my post surgery videos with my poofy face and cotton-filled mouth. However, since you are a little loopy after surgery, you should be mindful of the gauze and aim to not accidentally swallow it.

5. Ice and Arnica are your new best friends.

When the oral surgeon says to ice liberally, they mean it. After my surgery, I was extremely diligent when it came to applying and changing ice, since it drastically reduces swelling. Additionally, I recommend Arnica Montana, a homeopathic remedy for preventing and reducing swelling. I took Arnica pills and used a topical gel, which also helped with swelling.

6. Percocet does not really help and it makes you feel sick.

I know that Future's hit song "Mask Off" makes the drug seem amazing, but it's not. I only took a total of two pills after the day of my surgery. You think it's going to be life-changing, but it isn't and you'll wake up with horrible nausea.

7. After one day of eating soft foods, you'll be sick of them.

I was totally excited to have ice cream, soup, and cream of wheat, but they get old very quickly.

8. Do not drink from straws. Don't do it.

A dry socket is a condition that happens to about 5% of people who get their teeth pulled, and it is super painful. Essentially, a dry socket is when the blood clot is dislodged before the gum has healedabove your nerves and your jaw bone. It is extremely painful and easily preventable by not using straws, not smoking, and not participating inactivity after the procedure.

8. Plan movies or T.V. shows to watch post-op, since you probably won't be leaving your house anytime soon.

I ended up watching 10 movies in 48 hours.

9. When you finally leave your house, you will truly understand what freedom means.

You might have to wait a few days before you can step outside, but trust me when it happens, you will feel like a bird set free from a cage.

10. After around a week and a half, you will be feeling as good as new.

Yes, there can be complications but, they are rare. You'll be feeling better in no time!

A big shout-out to Dr. Freedberg (the best oral surgeon) for making my wisdom teeth experience as pleasant as it could be.