10 Things I Have Learned So Far in My Life

Valuable lessons I've learned that have made me live smarter.

83
theartsylenss

It's never easy being the "baby" of anything. Especially high school. As a freshman, I had expected everything to be so great and perfect, but it wasn't. Going into high school is a huge transformation and during the first year, and during my time there, I learned a lot.

1. Don't ever settle.

Don't be so worried and wrapped up about getting into a relationship. You will meet so many boys, both bad and good ones. But don't ever become desperate enough to settle for any boy that comes your way. You are so beautifully and wonderfully created that you deserve a boy who loves God, a boy who will take you on real dates, a boy who wants to know everything about you. You have to treasure your heart. If you settle for anyone who confesses feelings for you, you could be missing out on the boy who deserves you.

2. Not everyone is doing it.

There's so much pressure in today's culture to have sex in high school. But I promise you, everyone is not doing it. Your body is a temple, you should cherish it so that one day you get the honor of saying "I waited for you" to your husband. Sex is a gift of marriage. Don't do it because everyone else is, dare to be different and don't ever compromise your morals.

3. Make time for family.

This is the time of our lives as teenagers we neglect our families. But family is so important, and even though you might have disagreements with mom or dad, they will always love you. Your parents want the best for you, so they do what they think is best. Family is family and you can not throw that away.

4. Don't worry about being popular.

Popularity is so overrated. Popularity doesn't guarantee happiness. I knew so many people, and yet I never completely felt like I could talk to them like I did with my best friend. I always felt like I didn't have friends even though I did. I bet many people feel that way as well. Sometimes everything is not what it seems. Make real friends and hold on to them. You will need them. When you get out of school, no one will care if you were popular, people will only remember you for how you made them feel.

5. Work hard and don't hate your teachers.

There are so many people who don't care about getting good grades or homework as long as they pass the class. Don't think like that or hate the teachers. Teachers want to help you learn and be successful. That is their job, don't make it more difficult than it needs to be. Work hard and don't slack off, it will pay off. Think about the kind of future you want: do you want to be living on government aid for the rest of your life or wake up everyday doing something you love? Your work in school is the foundation to your future so choose wisely.

6. Be kind.

Sometimes being kind is easier said than done, but it is possible. Being kind will have its benefits. Do you want people to remember you as the nice girl or the gossiper who was rude to everyone? Think about it, this will really come into effect when you have to look for employment. The person you bullied could be your boss.

7. Don't waste money.

Don't waste money on things you don't need because everyone else has them. Shop smart and think ahead. Instead of spending $100+ on that pair of black lulu lemon leggings you don't need, maybe save that for college or donate it to a good cause. I admit that it is nice to spoil yourself sometimes but in a few years, it won't matter that you had the most stylish leggings if you can't pay for college. I promise you won't regret it.

8. Get enough sleep.

Don't stay up binge-watching Pretty Little Liars until 2 am. You need to let your body get enough time to rest up so you can be healthy and fueled. You know what they say; you need your beauty rest! Your body is still growing and you don't want your lack of sleep to get in the way of that.

9. Love yourself.

This is the time where you might struggle with who you want to be. But don't ever compare yourself to others, you are unique and beautiful. God created you in his eyes and he thinks you are perfect just the way you are. Don't be so hard on yourself, learn to love yourself, you only have one body and one life. Do not waste it on hating yourself. Instead, love yourself and empower other people to love themselves.

10. Don't stress.

There are bigger problems in the world than not being able to find the right shade of nail polish. Sometimes if we compare our problems to other problems people face around the world, it gives us a little perspective on how big or small our problems actually are. Don't get me wrong, all problems are just as important but take into consideration next time you stress over something: is it really worth all your time and attention?