10 Things High School Freshmen Should Know

You're only a teenager once, do it right!

322
Google Images

Your first year of high school can be very exciting and new, and to some it can be terrifying and confusing. Either way, there are many things you will learn throughout your 4 years of high school. Here are some pieces of advice from a senior to a freshman.

1. Don't Follow the Crowd

It's very easy as a freshman to just follow what you see everyone else doing because you are scared that you won't "fit in," or that people won't like you. Although it can seem overwhelming, try your best not to follow the crowd. Chances are, you will make many more friends by just being yourself and doing what you love and not what everyone else wants you to do.

2. Act Mature

I know it's different coming from middle school into high school where everyone talks about college, getting a job, driving a car, and having girlfriends/boyfriends, but one of the biggest complaints of upperclassmen are the immaturity levels of the freshmen. That's not to say that all freshmen are immature, though. Yet, it's not only your classmates who expect you to be mature, it is also your teachers who expect you to act mature. Since high school is merely a preparation for college, they expect you to take it seriously. When you leave school and go hang out with friends, be as immature as you want! Just act civil in school!

3. Work hard at everything!

This is probably the most common used piece of advice you will hear from the upperclassmen, because it is one of the most important things you can do in high school. It is simple. Pay attention to your lectures/lessons, get all of your homework done on time, try your best to get good grades, and in your extra curricular activities, strive to get better! Along with listening to lectures, make sure to ask questions and it is almost guaranteed you will learn better.

4. Stay Humble

It's easy to get caught up in all of the exciting new experiences that come along with high school like getting your license, getting your first job, being on a high school sports team, and many more. It's also easy to brag an excessive amount when you feel "high and mighty." Of course all of your friends and teachers will be excited with you and for you, but stay humble. There is no need to brag to everyone about everything. Just stay humble about your accomplishments and people will be much more accepting of them!

5. Make New Friends

As I am sure you have heard before, most of the time, you don't keep your old friends throughout high school. The friends you had throughout elementary and middle school will more than likely eventually part away, and that's perfectly okay! At first, it is devastating, but there are plenty of fish in the sea! Look around, talk to people, get to know your classmates and without a doubt you will find someone that will find an interest in you too! Be open to new opportunities and don't be afraid to say "hello" to someone new! Who knows? They might end up being your best friend!

6. Dating is NOT a Priority

One of many exciting things about high school are the high school girls and guys, right? Although that might be true, don't make your main focus on getting a girlfriend or boyfriend right away! Don't stress out about getting a homecoming date, just stick with your friends. Also, it is very easy to get attached to someone, but remember you are nearing adulthood now, and month old relationships are a thing of the past. If you decide to start a romantic relationship with someone, make sure you know them, make sure the feelings for each other are mutual, and make sure you are ready for a committed relationship. Otherwise, don't stress about finding "true love." You are still young and there is plenty of time! Focus on your grades and yourself!

7. Get Involved!

This is another common piece of advice you will hear throughout high school, but it is very true! Getting yourself involved in extracurriculars is a great way to have fun, meet new friends, and find out what you really like to do. Experiment around, try new things. There are many options in high school like band, sports, art clubs, academic clubs, and many many more! If you don't like something, try another activity. I promise you will have much more fun in high school if you get involved with something you love to do.

8. Be Respectful and Kind

A lot of kids tend to think being a "rebel" and causing a scene or a fight in school makes them tough and "cool," but high school is an entirely different setting than junior high. People don't take kindly to people who want to constantly start drama with others and who are non-stop talking down to their classmates and teachers. No one thinks it's funny or cool, I can promise you that. You will gain so many more acquaintances and friends by being kind, helpful, and respectful to those around you. Even if someone ticks you off one day, try your best to keep your cool and move on. We all have our days, but there is no need to take it out on everyone around you!

9.) Worry About Yourself

I understand it is very easy to get caught up in what everyone else is doing, or the drama you hear at the lunch tables, but overall it is vital to worry about yourself. High school gossip and drama can be enticing, but focus on yourself. It can be embarrassing to others when their personal business gets spilled to the entire school, so don't be one of the people that makes their situation worse. Instead, worry about taking care of yourself and being the best person you can be! Don't make other people miserable with a nosy personality!

10.) Have Fun!!

Trust me, I know high school can be hell to some, and sometimes it's extremely hard to have fun with lots of homework, friendship drama, becoming an adult, finding a college to go to, etc., but you only get to be a teenager once, so enjoy it while you can! Attend the football games, go to the school dances, go have some crazy fun with your friends, and enjoy your short teenage years while you have them. Embrace every moment you have, do it now, and don't look back. The school part of high school is no fun at all, but it is the times away from the school days that will mean the most, so instead of going home and moping about after a bad day, go have some fun and forget about your troubles. You're still young! Do it now and enjoy while you can!