10 Reasons Why Winter In Massachusetts Actually Isn't That Bad

It might be incredibly freezing, but it's called a winter wonderland for a reason.

1274

Here in Massachusetts we're back to the bone-chilling weather we all hate. That means sitting in our cars for 15+ minutes waiting for the ice to melt on our windshields before we can leave for school/work, bundling up bulky mom-coats that are far from flattering, and trying to distract ourselves from the searing pain in our fingers and toes that hits as soon as we dare step foot outdoors. However, although our battle with the elements is certainly strenuous, there are many things that make winter in New England the best. Don't believe me? Stay tuned for my top 10 reasons.

1. Snow.

I simply an unable to imagine winter without snow. We might hate what it does to our daily commutes, but there is nothing more beautiful than seeing every tree and building blanketed in white. Whether you're watching safely from your kitchen window or standing in the middle of your frozen back yard, flurries are magical.

2.Skiing, Snowboarding, and Sledding.

While we're on the topic of how great snow is, let's remember all the amazing activities that come with it. I've loved skiing and snowboarding and every other snow-related activity for as long as I can remember, something I have in common with most Massachusettians. Whether you're heading up north to hit the slopes at Loon or Stowe, going to sled at your local golf course, or even just building a lop-sided snowman in your back yard, remember to thank the snow gods that you were born in such a great state.

3. Snow Days.

Okay I promise this is the last one about snow but I just couldn't leave it out. If you are someone who has never experienced the pure joy that comes from hearing the phone call from your school with the mechanized snow day announcement I truly feel bad for you. Snow days are the best, end of story.

4. The holiday spirit. I'm sure we've all seen this Corona Christmas commercial:

And if we've all seen it, we can all agree that it is not Christmas. There is a good a reason why almost every Christmas commercial, movie, and song references snow! When it comes to the idyllic images evoked when most of us think of Christmas, there is no place more fitting than Massachusetts and the rest of New England (okay and maybe we should include New York as well), and we know it. By the first week of December almost every home has adorned their yards with Christmas lights (or Hanukkah lights as the case may be), snowmen if the weather permits, and it's very difficult to find a wreath-less front door. Little Women, one of the most quintessential Christmas movies of all time, was filled in Deerfield, MA, for this very reason.

5. The coziness. Whether you're snuggled up in a blanket watching A Christmas Story as the snow piles up in your drive way, curling up with some hot chocolate and a good book, or decorating gingerbread houses with your friends, there is something incredibly cozy about the winters here. Somehow everything seems to smell like Cinnamon (I blame Yankee Candle) and the warm glow from all the Christmas lights somehow makes your home feel, well, homier than it does at any other time of year.

6. Boston!

I know Rockefeller Center gets way more attention, but our Frog Pond in the Boston Common certainly gives it a run for its money.

Winter time in Boston is incredibly beautiful, from the store displays on Newbury Street to the ice sculptures and skating on the Common, from the snow covered townhouses in Beacon Hill to the occasional horse-drawn sleigh that passes by.

Also, there are so many winter activities in Boston; in one weekend you could see Boston Ballet's famous production of The Nutcracker, the Big Air snowboarding and freestyle skiing competition at Fenway Park, and why not toss in a Bruins Game (which leads me to another point.... winter is not winter without hockey, and when it comes to high school, college, and professional hockey, no where has more than MA!).

7. The driving.

We may be known for being the worst drivers, but throw in some horrendous winter weather and traffic and you've got yourself some free Netflix-quality entertainment. Every Massachusetts winter brings with it new tales of transportation turmoil, from cars sliding into snowmen to plow guys taking pieces of house away along with all the unwanted snow. This may not seem like a good thing, but it's certainly part of what makes our winters so special.

8.Dunkin' Donuts hot chocolate.

Yes this does deserve to be its own reason because every winter Dunks comes out with new hot chocolate flavors for us to try and if you don't love it it's because you haven't tried it. I don't care if it's S'mores, Oreo, or even just plain chocolate, if it's from Dunkins, it's good.

9. The outfits!

Winter in warm weather means no cute coats, boots, mittens, hats, earmuffs, or even muffs (the weird furry thing that women put there hands in in old movies). Fortunately, we don't have that problem here in MA, so if you come visit please follow Blair's example and bring your most adorable (and warm) winter attire.

10. The hope for spring.

Let's face it, many aspects of our winters are very tough, which makes us that much more excited for and appreciative of spring when it finally comes! Besides, Massachusetts springs are almost as good as Massachusetts winters.