10 Reasons You Should Never Be Ashamed To See A Counselor

You need to allow someone else to help you if you know you can't help yourself.

45
Ben White

Who wants to be the person with "issues"? Not me. For too long, I put off getting the help that I needed because I thought that seeing a counselor meant I was weak. I thought that it meant I didn't have what it took to fight on my own. The past year has been an extremely rough patch in my life and with the stress of school on top of it, I felt like I was falling apart. I'm very cautious about who I trust with my personal problems and because of this, found myself keeping everything bottled in, which I now know is not healthy. When I finally came to the decision of scheduling an appointment with the Student Counseling Services at my school, I canceled two different times before finally forcing myself to attend what I thought would be a one and done session. I thought that seeing a counselor would make me the girl "with issues". I thought that I wouldn't be able to open up to a complete stranger. However, once I walked in for the first time and was initially overwhelmed with kindness and compassion, I realized that following through and seeing a counselor was the best decision I've ever made for my mental health and here's why.

1. You need to allow someone to help you if you can't help yourself

If you're anything like me, you're a closed book who finds it extremely hard to open up to people. A lot of this might stem from trust issues, but a lot of it can also be blamed on the fact that you don't want to feel weak. The problem with this is that as humans, we live off of one another even though we might not realize it. We shut people out while longing for support at the same time. It is hard letting people in and it's very easy to think that no one will understand you, however, the second you open up to a counselor you will receive nothing but support and someone to confide in. This person wants to help you more than anything.

2. Venting never hurt anybody

Regardless of how stubborn you may be in your efforts to avoid a counselor, you want nothing more than to explode and tell someone about every little thing that's been getting to you. Venting is natural and is an immense step in being able to confront and handle our problems in life.

3. Confidentiality

Along with venting, everything you say to a counselor is confidential. You will never have to worry about anyone finding out the information that you decide to disclose. The counselor will never turn around and betray you. You can say whatever you want with absolutely no doubts regarding their trustworthiness or reliability.

4. A safe space, away from reality

If you continue to feel unhappy everywhere you go, it's nice to have a safe haven or somewhere where you know you can relax and escape from reality. While you're there, you don't have to be surrounded by the struggles that overwhelm your life. Even though you spend your appointment talking about those very problems, talking about them helps get your mind off of them.

5. Everyone is sensitive and understanding and it restores your faith in humanity

The people who work in counseling services along with the others who sit in the waiting room for appointments are all very understanding. There is a certain comforting sensitivity that everybody has that makes you feel at home. Everyone knows that each person is there for their own, specific reason and that you never know what somebody else is going through so it's important to be kind to everybody. Meeting and interacting with other people who are working to overcome their battles can lead you to some pretty amazing people and it can give you hope that there are still genuinely good people out there.

6. They let you know you're not alone

At first, you may feel like no one could possibly understand you. That's how I felt at first. However, a counselor is there to show you that it is only human to go through rough patches and that you are never alone. Even though you don't ever want to wish bad things upon others, it's a bit comforting realizing that there are others who know exactly what you're going through.

7. Everyone has problems in life, you just needed a little extra push

Not everyone can cope with their problems easily. Some people just need a little extra help throughout the process. Everybody's coping process is different so there's no need to be ashamed of the route that you felt was necessary for yourself.

8. Seeking the help you need is a sign of strength and maturity

Being able to swallow your pride and follow through with what's best for yourself, regardless of how hard it may be is a sign that you're growing. Taking that step in the first place makes you closer than where you were before.

9. They're honest with you

A counselor serves as an outside opinion with no bias. The counselor most likely does not know the people that you decide to talk about and will not sugar coat things to make you feel better. They will be on your side when you're right, but they will not always tell you what you want to hear. The honesty will help you to find and learn about yourself.

10. You're getting better

Seeing a counselor will never put you a step back from where you started. Seeking out a plan of action to finding your happiness in the first place already means you're on the road to recovery.

If you're an ISU student who feels that counseling would be in your best interest, call the Student Counseling Services to schedule an appointment at (309) 438-3655. If you go to a different school, don't be afraid to seek out help from your own counseling services. Cope in the way that is the most helpful for you and never be ashamed.