10 Reasons Why I Love Indians Games

10 Reasons Why I Love Indians Games

Win or lose, I will always stand behind my home team.

27
10 Reasons Why I Love Indians Games
Fox 8 Cleveland

As a devoted Clevelander, and in the aftermath of their World Series loss, I thought I'd share 10 reasons why I love Cleveland Indians games. Through rain or shine, I will always stand by my Tribe.

1. Jacob's Field (now Progressive Field).

I remember when it was first announced they'd be changing the name of Jacob's Field. I'm still heartbroken over that fact, but I suppose Progressive Field has really grown on me. I've watched the majority of my games there under that name and, in my generation, we went to the world series under that name; so it carries some merit. I'll never forget Jacob's Field, though. That name resonates with me more than a popular brand name ever will.

2. The Atmosphere.

I've been to a Browns game and a Cavaliers game, but nothing quite compares to an Indians game atmosphere. Maybe I'm biased—I've been to far more Indians games after all—but an Indians game just warrants more family-based fun and activity than what I've experienced with different sports. Again, maybe it's just me, but I think the Tribe atmosphere is noteworthy here.

3. Slider.

Even though I still don't have the slightest ideas as to what Slider is in the animal kingdom, I think he's very lovable. He's a quirky little character that I just can't imagine being absent from games. So yes. Of course he's on this list. Because who doesn't like Slider? No one, that's who.

4. Themed Games.

Pictured above we have Progressive Field's Puppypalooza event, where fans can bring their four-legged friends to the game. I've always loved how the Indians have different themed games on their schedule like this. For example, one of my most memorable games was Star Wars themed. I got the chance to walk around the field and high-five and take pictures with some of my favorite Star Wars characters. Not to mention they played Star Wars clips on the scoreboard during inning switches that were either comical or cool. Themed games are just a nice touch and really spark a lot of fan engagement during the games.

5. The Bleachers.

Yes, the fact that they're cheap seats does play a factor in this, but there's more to it than that! The view isn't all that bad, aside from the fact you don't get to see the scoreboard. But the game is what matters, right? You have the guy playing the drums above you, who, I might add, is merely a devoted fan who started his drum playing back in 1973. He's only missed 38 games in the last 40 seasons and is recognized by the team by being given season tickets and his own bobble head—how cool is that? Also, at the end of warmups, outfielders will typically throw balls away to the fans. I remember Grady Sizemore throwing balls to our section back when he was on the team, and it was so cool! And the occasional home run was a nice touch, too. So let's just say the bleachers are seats you really can't take for granted.

6. The Hot Dog Derby.

Ah, the 7th inning stretch. What does that mean? Time for the hot dog derby of course! The race between mustard, ketchup, and onion is always a fan favorite. Especially since the tradition of finding ways to cheat was introduced—interferences by Slider, players, etc. I cheer for Ketchup every time, but he almost never wins when I'm there. Figures.

7. The Scoreboard.

From player introductions, lineup, and stats to trivia, games, and cheering fans, the scoreboard captures it all. It's an interactive touch I haven't fully experience anywhere else, and the quality is astounding. Pay attention the next time you're there because the interactive scoreboard is something worth appreciating.

8. Firework Shows.

Indians firework shows—especially after a win—are amazing. The colorful array of fireworks are a must see! Going back to my Star Wars themed game, I got to watch fireworks going along with the soundtrack and it was jaw-dropping! The Cleveland Indians know their way around fireworks, let me tell ya.

9. The Tower

During night games the tower springs to life with an array of colors. Sometimes it even showed Indians colors to support the tribe on big plays. Needless to say, it always catches my eye during games!

10. The Tribe's Devotion to their Fans.

Win or lose, the Cleveland Indians always give their best for their fans. Against all odds, they rallied together—hence the catch phrase—and were driven by their fans all the way to the World Series. They lost, yes, but we still stand behind them as they stood up for us. Until next year Indians, we stand behind you and hope for another great year. Thanks for the memories—you are a big stepping stone of my childhood—and thank you in advance for the memories yet to come.

Go Tribe!