An Open Letter To My Graduating Big Sister

Big sister, don't ever change.

11563

To my big sister,

It is incredible that you are graduating today. It feels like just yesterday you were pushing me off of the swing set, and asking mom and dad if you could just leave me at the hospital. Although we sometimes fight, at the end of the day we both love and cherish each other and wouldn't have it any other way. As you complete this stage of your education, I have to notice how much I have learned from you throughout the years.

I hope you know you've left me some pretty big shoes to fill. Not just today, as you walk across that stage to get that diploma, but my entire life. Like that time you made the varsity lacrosse team as a freshman, for example. You inspired me to start playing travel lacrosse in high school. In so many aspects of your life, I see the way Mom and Dad look at you with pride in their eyes, and I hope one day when I reach that same point in my life, they look at me that way too.

Living up to you hasn't been easy. You're outgoing, energetic and ballsy. You do everything 200%. You set an example of how to be loyal, honest and committed. Your passion ignites a similar fire for life in those around you. It is crystal clear that whenever you set your mind to something, you don't stop until you accomplish your goals. You are tenacious. You are strong, smart and beautiful.

You've shown me that it doesn't really matter what people think. You always trust your instincts and your gut, never worrying about what other people will think. Not to mention I've learned from the times when your common sense has failed you, like when you threw a party when mom and dad went out of town and got yelled at. I guess I played it safe, but it paid off in the end (because one of us has to learn from all of the stupid stuff you do).

You are so challenging. You challenge me, and you've made my skin stronger because of it. I have yet to have meet a girl who can get under my skin like you do, and I'm thankful for it. Without you being a royal pain in the butt, I wouldn't have survived middle school or high school. Girls can be really mean, but the tough love of a sister prepared me for the real world. Although we fight, we always learn to reconcile our differences in the end.

As I've come into my own, the most important thing I've learned is that the beauty of our relationship doesn't necessarily lie in our similarities, but rather in our differences. We balance each other, and I think we make Mom and Dad question how they can have such two different and dynamic individuals under one roof. I love how we complete each other, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Although I've often struggled to see the beauty in our individual strengths, today it all really makes sense. We are at two very different points in our lives, but I think it is working out for the best. As you begin to work and pursue a higher education, I am just getting settled in at college. As you excel at science and math, I am shining in my writing and love of history. And not to mention, you are the brunette to my blonde (genetics are weird with us). The sky is the limit for us.

Although you drive me crazy, I wouldn't have it any other way. You always surprise me, both with the good and bad. I am so proud to call you my sister, and cherish each and every incredible memory and experience I have had with you. I cannot wait to see what else in life you will accomplish. Big sister, don't ever change.

I love you.