10 Reasons To Love Boston

10 Reasons To Love Boston

Boston is a state of mind.

80
10 Reasons To Love Boston
pixabay

Even though I am from Boston, I didn't realize how amazing the city really is. I lived in a town just twenty minutes via car from the city itself. Now that I am living in one of the busiest parts of Boston, with Beth-Israel Hospital right next door and literally down the street from Fenway Park, the city always has something going on. I loved every minute of being in New York City and exploring different parts of Manhattan, whether is was Greenwich Village or seeing the Upper East Side. But there is something about Boston that is so much better and makes me feel right at home.

1.Dunkin' Donuts

I remember coming home for winter break and the moment I stepped out into Logan airport, the first thing I see is Dunkin' Donuts and the smell of coffee being brewed. I loved seeing people ask for hot cups because holding their iced coffee was too much for them during the winter months. And yes, people from New England still buy ice coffee in the winter, even if it is below freezing outside, we need our ice coffee.

2. Our Accents

Even the true Bostonian knows that our accents are wicked bad. Sometimes it can be a little irritating when people who are not from the Boston area ask to hear us say "Pahk thecahinHavahrdyahd". But I think the Bostonian accent is very unique, even though it is difficult to understand sometimes, it just makes Bostonians a little different from everyone else.

3. The Freedom Trail

If you're a history nerd like me you'll want to explore the trail that starts right in thecenterof Boston Common. This trail brings you along the journey of Paul Revere, Samuel Adams and John Hancock (all of which are buried in this area). You'll be able to learn the history of the Boston Tea party and where the Boston Massacre took place. While none of what I just toldyousounds positive at all, the history nerd inside of you is probably ecstatic.

4. The ‘T’

After trying to navigate the New York City subway system seems impossible if you’re not from New York or haven’t lived there for quite some time. Luckily, every time I had to use the subway system while I was in New York, I was always with a group of people who knew exactly where they were going. Every time I have taken the ‘T’ in Boston, it just seems 10x easier than the subway system in New York City. It amazes me how people can actually navigate that thing. If you’re not from the Boston area and need a way to get around, I highly recommend the ‘T’, even though it is a subway system, it is very direct and easy to use.

5. New England Patriots

Even though the football team is not representing just the Boston area, but New England as a whole, the sports team is one of the best in the NFL. The Pats have gotten so much crap from other teams, coaches, announcers etc. and yet they still come out strong every season. Football is the only sports team I actually follow and understand (most of the time). I’m proud to be a Patriots fan and to have them represent the area I’m from.

6. The Theatre District

It isn’t Broadway, but the Boston theatre district has some of the best theaters on the east coast. From the Boston Opera House to the Huntington Theatre Company, most big-name actors who make it to Broadway, have at some point, performed in one of those two theaters and started their name here in Boston.

7. Our Schools

Between Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology(MIT); some of the best schools in America happen to be in and around the Boston area. The college I’m attending right now happens to be right near Harvard University. It is a great area to have so many schools in because there are so many opportunities to get an amazing internship or maybe even a job. Boston is known for some of the best schools in the nation, and anyone who goes to school here will be very successful.

8. From Boston to Hollywood

Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, Chris Evans, Uzo Aduba. These are just a few celebrities who once grew up and even started out their career in the Boston area. Mark Walhberg and his brother Donnie for example are known for their famous restaurant Walhburgers and their television show. Anyone from the Boston area has been there or at least heard from the delicious food establishment. Matt Damon constantly refers to Boston as his one and only home and some of his best films have taken place in Boston.

9. Museum of Science

With many trips into this wonderful museum, there is always something to do for everyone. No matter what age you are, there is something you are going to enjoy. At almost 19 years old I still want to go and play on the large playground area they have upstairs. There are so many things to do in that museum and yet I even see parents having fun when they take their kids.

10. Boston Strong

Unfortunately, everyone knows the tragedy that occurred in April 2013 during the Boston Marathon. With so many lives lost that day, people still found a reason to celebrate. While it took a few days for people to get back into their normal lives, I saw a city come together so quickly and help out people they didn’t even know. And that is usually what happens during a tragedy, but I am proud to say that I am from and live in a city that comes together and bounces back even stronger after such a tragedy.

I love that I am from and currently living in such an amazing, diverse city where so many different kinds of people come in and out of every day. Boston may just be another city, but to me, it is one of the greatest and of the most unique cities out there and I'm proud to be from there.