10 Reasons To Hate Russell Westbrook

10 Reasons To Hate Russell Westbrook

His dance moves are bad and his jump shot is worse.

5689
10 Reasons To Hate Russell Westbrook
FriendlyBounce

This year's Western Conference semifinals in the NBA playoffs features a matchup between the Oklahoma City Thunder and the San Antonio Spurs, currently tied at two-two. While most consider Kevin Durant to be the star of the Thunder, in recent years, Russell Westbrook has risen in popularity due to his opportunity to "shine" during times when Durant has been injured. Some go as far as to say the Westbrook is better than Durant, but here are 10 reasons why Westbrook really isn't that great at all.

1. Technical fouls

Russell Westbrook has committed 25 technical fouls in the last two seasons, which is one of the highest numbers in the NBA. This means that you can expect Westbrook to have a technical foul once every six or seven games throughout the season.

2. He cannot shoot threes

29%. This is the percentage that Westbrook shoots from behind the arc. Out of the top 50 scorers in the NBA, Westbrook has one of the worst three-point field goal percentages (disregarding post players, but even DeMarcus Cousins has a better percentage). Even though he can’t make a three, he still takes 4.3 shots from deep per game. Basketball-Reference.com says that in the entire history of the NBA, Westbrook has the 3rd worst three point shooting percentage of players that have taken 1,500 three-point attempts.

3. His dance moves are weak

Like his outside jump shot, Russell’s dance moves could use some work. Before every game, he spends two to three minutes dancing with benchwarmer Cameron Payne. During their first round playoff matchup versus Dallas, Payne's and Westbrook’s dancing was interrupted by Charlie Villanueva, who later stated that Westbrook should “go to a club and dance.” In response, Westbrook explained that some guys -- in this case, Villanueva -- just want to get attention. So the guy who spends his pregame warmup dancing for the crowd is accusing someone else of wanting attention? That makes perfect sense, Russell.

4. He shoots so freakin' much

Westbrook averages 18.1 shots every game. Now that the playoffs have started, he has started taking 21.3 shots per game, more than any player currently in the playoff race. And if you haven’t noticed, when Westbrook scores more points, it is not because he makes a higher percentage of shots, it’s because he just takes more shots. In his two high-scoring games versus the Spurs, he has gone 11-25 to score 29 and 10-31 to score 31. Kevin Durant, on the other hand , has gone 11-19 to score 28 and 10-18 to score 26. In the second game he missed more shots than Durant took. Needless to say, the man likes to shoot.

5. He is a turnover machine

Even though Westbrook spends most of his time shooting, he still somehow finds the time to commit a whopping 4.3 turnovers per game. This is second in the entire NBA.

6. He plays to get fouled

This year, Westbrook has attempted seven free throws per game, and last year he attempted nearly 10 per game. Many older players like Gary Payton, Shaquille O’Neal, and Charles Barkley look at the way the game is played today and call it soft. This is because players such as Russell Westbrook, often promote a style of play where they play to get fouled. They are constantly looking for a way to draw a foul rather than to score, and while sometimes this is smart, it creates a softer and more timid game.

7. He demands respect, but shows none

On several occasions, Westbrook has been known to cut off reporters mid-question, tell reporters that he does not like them, and even use vulgar language before simply leaving an interview altogether. Now, I will admit that the media can be hard to love, but Westbrook’s disrespect can be seen elsewhere, such as moments when he yells at his own teammates, argues with his coaches, yells profanity at opposing fans, or even throws a fit like a child by flipping a chair after being pulled out of the game. And don’t forget all his technical fouls.

8. He makes Kevin Durant’s life hell

One of the greatest scorers in the history of the game, Kevin Durant somehow received the punishment of having to put up with Russell Westbrook. Kevin Durant constantly has to clean up messes that Westbrook leaves behind, whether it’s a missed shot, a cruel comment, or an uncalled-for complaint. If Durant does not get out of OKC soon, he could very well be pushed into insanity.

9. His clothes. Enough said.

10. He is not clutch

In one of their recent games against the Spurs, the Thunder led by four in the fourth quarter. That is, until Westbrook committed three turnovers and missed an abundance of three-point shots. Not to mention, Westbrook’s stats during clutch situations have been some of the worst in the league.