10 More Problems Besides The Bathroom Bill

We have a lot more to be worrying about than just where people use the bathroom.

40
themonastery.org

Sweeping the headlines of main media currently is the infamous bathroom bill having states at odds with the federal government around the country. While this is an unresolved issue, there is a problem that comes with so much media coverage on one problem. The problem with that is simply it is one problem. There are so many more issues at hand that need our nation’s attention beyond this.

For instance — health care, unemployment, immigration, social security, national security, education, cost of college tuition, student debt, the economy, poverty and many more. If all of these problems exist, then why aren’t they getting the forefront of media coverage? Why is it that where a person uses the bathroom is the main order of business? Don’t get me wrong, regardless of your stance on this issue it is something that needs to be resolved. However, it also doesn’t mean that other matters get pushed to the side because of it.

1. Heath Care

Obamacare has been an issue for many Americans, affordability-wise, and even getting it in the first place. It surprises me how in other countries there is not such an issue. I know our country is very prideful for doing things "our" way, but what is so outlandish at looking at other countries as an example? Considering we're a big melting pot of countries anyways, none of us can truly say that our ideas are completely original. In fact, some countries even have free health care, including the United Arab Emirates, Germany, Sweden, United Kingdom, Iceland, Austria, Norway, Japan, Spain, Andorra and France.

2. Unemployment

A long talked about issue — but a long way from being solved, unemployment has been at the forefront of our nation's biggest problems. The "American Dream" I have heard from peers, elders and those in my surrounding community is now referred to as a thing of the past. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, as of April 2016, the unemployment rate is at 5 percent. In May of 1953, you can see a drastic difference with the unemployment rate of 2.5 percent.

3. Immigration

Possible future President of the United States and likely Republican Presidential Nominee Donald Trump says to fix immigration, we should build a wall and make Mexico pay for it. I don't know about you, but I don't believe building walls and making other countries pay for them is the best way to solve any problem... And what scares me, personally, is that he thinks this nonexistent wall is a great idea. Yup... that will "Make America Great Again."

4. Social Security

The days of Social Security may become a thing of the past sooner than we would like. Some predictions estimate that Social Security trust fund will end in 2037 if no action is made. Once the trust found is out, there is no surplus, which overall means no benefits to hard-working Americans. So for us millennials, that might mean when we go to retire, Social Security, unless fixed, won't be there.

5. National Security

Well, this might be important. Let's not forget that ISIS has attacked how many countries in the past year? Plus, we can't disregard what happened in San Bernandino, Calif. in December 2015. A shooting there injured 21 and killed 14 led by two followers of ISIS within the United States.

6. Education

Currently, the United States is number 14 when it comes to education worldwide. To some this may be surprising, or others not so much. Also, I don't know about you, but to me common core doesn't match well with my common sense. It takes one way of doing a math problem and makes it twice as hard as before. In addition, I want my future children and their children to have the education they deserve. This is one issue I simply cannot ignore.

7. Cost of College Tuition

College tuition can be pretty expensive — especially if you fall in the private university range. Ultimately, unless you're given full scholarships or have rich parents you'll most likely be taking out student loans. And believe it or not, but not all countries have hefty tuition prices. Actually, some countries even offer a college education at a little to no cost. Some nations with free college include Brazil, Germany, Finland, France, Norway, Slovenia and Sweden.

8. Student Debt

Many college students, including me — whether we want to face it or not — will have to make a plan of paying back student loans. One statistic says that the class of 2016 had an average of $31,172 in student debt, which is 6 percent higher than in 2015. If other countries can have free college, why can't we work towards at least minimizing the costs of it?

9. The Economy

Also, who can forget that less than ten years ago in 2008, we were facing what will go down in history books as the "Great Recession." In an article written by CNN in 2014, Ben Bernanke, the former head of the Federal Reserve said, "September and October of 2008 was the worst financial crisis in global history, including the Great Depression," As a nation, we have to be careful to not fall back into a recession.

10. Poverty

Twenty five percent... that's a scary statistic. Also, I'm sure we can all agree that children are not in control of their environment. Every child should have the chance to escape poverty. Plus, considering we live in what some people identify as one of the best countries in the world, how can we have a child poverty rate so high?

11. And Many More

I'm sure all of you reading this can think of at least one or several other issues that our country needs resolved. So while the Bathroom Bill is still an issue, make sure you're not casting aside the many other issues that frankly aren't going anywhere.