10 Libraries Guaranteed to Cause a Wanderlust Flare Up

Grab your passport and pack your suitcase because we're going on an adventure!

18
Gerd Altmann

Bibliophile: (noun) a person who collects or has a love for books.

In my opinion, it's the best kind of 'phile you can be, but Anglophile runs a close second. Either way, as my bio implies; I really love books! The feel, the smell, the fact that they won't wake up one morning and tell you they don't love you anymore.

As an ardent bibliophile, few things make me happier than spending a few hours in a really great library. I know I'm probably not the only one that feels that way. Which is why I've put together this list of the world's coolest libraries.

Criteria for this list was aesthetics, collection size, and history. Enjoy!

1. al-Qarawiyyin

Location: Fez, Morocco

Collection: 9,000

What's a list of cool libraries without the world's oldest library? The al-Qarawiyyin was founded way back in the 12th century and is attached the longest continually running university in the world. It was also founded by a woman, so bonus points there. The collection isn't huge by any stretch, but it does have some real gems including a 9th century Koran in its original binding.

2. British Library

Location: London, United Kingdom

Collection: 170+ Million

With over 170 million items housed in the British Library, it is the largest library in the world in terms of collection size. The collection boasts over 14 million books, as well as manuscripts and historical items that date back to 2000 BC.

3. The Admont Library

Location: Admont, Austria

Collection: 70,000

The library hall itself was built in 1776, and is the largest monastery library in the world. There are over 1,400 manuscripts the oldest of which accompanied the ver first monks to the abbey. While the collection is impressive the real beauty of this library is its ornate ceilings. The frescoes represent the different stages of human knowledge up to Divine Revelation.

4. Liyuan Library

Location: Beijing, China

Collection: Unknown

I had no idea this one existed until a friend who's studying in Beijing pointed it out. While it's relatively new compared to some of the other libraries on this list, and its collection isn't huge, this library's claim to fame is its construction. The outside of the building is entirely covered in twigs and branches from local trees. Google it, I'm not kidding. The collection includes modern works as well as a selection of Chinese novels. The library was built to entice day trippers from Beijing, and has been wildly successful in that respect.

5. Stuttgart City Library

Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Collection: Unknown

Probably the most modern library on the list, Stuttgart's stark white city library is a thing of beauty. The only color in this nine-story temple of knowledge comes from the books themselves. Far from looking clinical and sterile though, its central atrium (pictured) gives the whole place an airy and open feeling.

6. Trinity College Dublin Library

Location: Dublin, Ireland

Collection: 9 million+

Hogwarts, is the first word that comes to mind with this one. Dating back to 1592, this wood paneled dream is the largest library in Ireland. Boasting a huge collection of books, maps, and journals Hermione and I could definitely get lost in here.

7. Sainte-Geneviève Library

Location: Paris, France

Collection: 2 Million

Turns out the City of Love is also a center of knowledge. The Sainte-Geneviève Library is attached to the much celebrated University of Paris. The University inherited the entire collection from the Abbey of St. Genevieve and have added to it significantly. Moviegoers might recognize this one, as it was featured in Martin Scorcese's "Hugo".

8. New York Public Library

Location: New York City, New York

Collection: 53.1 Million

With a single reading room that stretches over two city blocks, it's safe to say that this place is absolutely massive. It's the fourth largest public library in the world and houses a huge collection. I can also personally vouch for its cool factor, given that(at the time of publication) it is the only library on the list that I have visited personally.

9. The Vatican Archives

Location: Vatican City

Collection: Unknown

I did have to stretch the definition of library for this one, but its worth it for the off the charts cool factor. While the archives themselves are open to the public, there is a whole secret world of knowledge that most people will never get to see. The Secret Archives were totally off limits to the public until 1871, now about 1000 researchers a year are given permission to venture inside. Very DaVinci Code.

10. Bibliotheca Alexandrina

Location: Alexandria, Egypt

Collection: 1 Million+

While the actual building is fairly new (completed in 2002), the history of this library goes farther back than any of the others on this list. Built to honor the original Library of Alexandria that was lost in antiquity, the Bibliotheca Alexandrina is a creative marvel. It is designed like a sundial, has an exterior decorated with hieroglyphics, and is actually tilted toward the Mediterranean Sea. Way cool.

Now this list isn't the end all be all of library lists by any stretch of the imagination, but I did my best to include a fairly diverse group. As different as they are, every single one of these is on my bucket list. With my upcoming trip to London, I'll be able to scratch another one off. If you ask nicely I'll even write about my experience!