10 Inspirational Women You Should Look Up To

They embody true feminism.

404
Bustle

1. Simone De Beauvoir

Political activist, labeled taboo, Simone De Beauvoir embodied the ability to fight for what you believe in regardless of what others think. Her book, The Second Sex, tried to diminish the patriarchy and explored the social constructs that limited women; it has been credited with paving the way for modern feminism and was even declared "pornography" by some groups and was banned by The Vatican.

2. Marlene Dietrich

Actress and style icon, Marlene Dietrich broke gender roles and wore what she wanted. Maybe her actions weren't directly political, but her confidence is her ability to go against the grain with her style became an inspiration everywhere for women to dress how they want.

3. Betty Friedan

On top of being the author to The Feminine Mystique, Betty Friedan was one of the women on the forefront of establishing the National Women's Political Caucus. She also organized the Women's Strike for Equality in 1970 which helped spread feminism in its second wave through America.

4. Bell Hooks

Profound author, Bell Hooks, helped within the fight to advance feminism as well as fighting oppression for everyone regardless of gender, age, or race. Some of her most notable works include Ain't I A Woman? Black Women and Feminism and The Feminist Theory, in which she says "Feminism is a movement to end sexism, sexist exploitation, and oppression."

5. Coretta Scott King

Aside from being Martin Luther King's wife, Coretta Scott King was one of the leaders within the civil rights and feminist movement. She helped found NOW (National Organization for Women) and was also the first woman to ever speak at the Class Day address at Harvard.

6. Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton is the first female Senator in New York, Secretary of State under Obama, and obviously was the first female presidential candidate from the 2016 election. She was the first female chair in the Legal Services Corporation, and gave her famous "Women's rights are human rights" speech in 1995. Even though she faced defeat in the election, she provided a strong role model for women and girls everywhere, even stating at her concession speech, "To all the little girls watching... never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world."

7. Malala Yousafzai

The courageous young woman gained national recognition after her efforts to access education for girls in Pakistan. Her memoir, I Am Malala, tells her story and provides inspiration to women all over the world.

8. Emma Watson

Emma Watson has emerged a poised and dedicated young feminist and a great inspiration for people. She is using her voice to raise awareness for the true meaning of feminism, advocating for men and women everywhere. She gave a very moving speech and the United Nations and has since launched the #HeForShe movement.

9. Gloria Steinhem

Gloria Steinhem is the co-founder of Ms. Magazine and has been at the forefront of the feminist movement since the 1960's.

10. The Suffragettes

These incredible women who fought for women's suffrage could not be left out of this left. The forefront of the feminist movement was led by women such as Mary Wollstonecraft, Susan B. Anthony, Alice Stone Blackwell, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Emmeline Pankhurst, and Sojourner Truth.