10 Unique Desserts You Should Try Once In Your Life

Life is sweeter with sweets.

290
Deviantart

Not long ago I wrote "10 Foods You Should Try Once In Your Life" because, well, I love food and I think everyone should get to try new things in their life, and different foods is a part of that. Food can be everyone's best friend, but the real rock star and best friend of everyone at the end of a good meal is dessert! So, to go with those ten foods you should try in your life, here are ten desserts.

1. Creme Brûlée

This is one of my favorite desserts. It's a French classic composed of custard that's lightly caramelized on top, using a small torch when serving, hence the translation: "burnt cream."

2. Nanaimo Bars

I've made these before in high school and I fell in love with them, and then I found a shop in New York City that sells them. A Nanaimo Bar is a soft layer of yellow custard sandwiched between rich chocolate ganache and a coconut-graham crust.

3. Cannoli

I love cannolis! Like, really if you never had one you need to go out and try one! It's made of crunchy fried pastry dough stuffed with a creamy Ricotta filling. The exposed ends are often topped with crushed pistachios, chocolate chips or chopped candied fruits.

4. Magic Cake

I had this not to long ago and holy crap did my heart melt. It looks like beautifully layered custard cakes — the top layer is a sponge cake, the middle layer is custard, and the bottom layer is fudge-like. This cake, though 3 layers, only requires one batter! When you actually bake the cake, it magically separates into three distinct layers.

5. Lemon Tart

The French really know how to do desserts. If you love lemon and lots of it, this is something for you! It's a buttery flaky crust filled with lemon curd!

6. Crepes

I love crepes. There is a stand in New York City during the winter that you can fill your own crepe with whatever you want. I like them filled with fruit and fresh off the pan! It's a very thin pancake but just a little sweeter.

7. Tarte Tatin

Yeah, another french dessert. This is just an upside down apple pie! Caramelized apples and a crispy crust!

8. Dacquoise

A pastry made of layers of whipped cream and hazelnut meringue. The best thing about this is you can make it in any flavor you want.

9. Flan

So I tried this when I was younger at some kind of girl scout party. My mom had us try things from around the world, and I just love the sweetness from flan! Flan is an open, rimmed, pastry or sponge base, containing a sweet filling.

10. Mochi Ice Cream

My love for sushi led me to find this wonderful sweet treat! Mochi ice cream is a confection made from Japanese mochi with an ice cream filling.

Desserts are everyone's favorite part of the meal! Hopefully, you get to go out and try some of these at one point! I promise you won't be let down!