The 10 'Beasts' In The NFC East

The 10 'Beasts' In The NFC East

Who are the most talented players in the polarizing division?

14
The 10 'Beasts' In The NFC East
Sporting News

The NFC East and consistency are antonyms. To clarify, the last time a team won the division in back-to-back years was in 2004 when the Eagles secured the division for the previous three years.

The division is filled with talent but these four teams cannot seem to put together multiple winning seasons in a row. So, what is it? The Beasts of the East or the Least of the East? What makes the division such an odd dynamic is the reality is that it's often a little bit of both. That said, there are certainly some individual "beasts" in this division, and that's what I've come here to take a look at.

Without further adieu, let’s rank and analyze the top players in the NFC East Division:

1. Tyron Smith, OT, Cowboys

Tyron holds this spot and reigns over the NFC East because he is simply one of the best tackles in all of Pro Football (Pro Football Focus ranked him behind only the Browns tackle Joe Thomas). He was drafted ninth overall in 2011 and is still coming into his own at the age of 25. He has been selected to the Pro Bowl the past three seasons and plays an enormous role in protecting Tony Romo and anchoring one of the best offensive line’s in football.

2. Trent Williams, OT, Redskins

This Washington Redskin is also one of the premier tackles in the game. Williams is a Pro Bowl regular, having been selected to that team for the last four seasons. His nasty and furious attitude are evident in both pass and run protection (you might recall his altercation with Seahawks CB Richard Sherman). He was recently rewarded for his value with a five-year, $66 million contract extensions with $43.25 million guaranteed. Money well spent.

3. Odell Beckham Jr, WR, Giants

Odell put a stamp on his young career when he made that spectacular “catch” in his rookie year against the division rival Cowboys. Even superstar Lebron James said it was one of the best catches ever. He didn't turn back after missing the first four games in 2014 and went on to win the Offensive Rookie of the Year Award. He very quietly improved from his rookie year and caught more balls and totaled more yards and touchdowns in his sophomore campaign.

We are looking forward to future match-ups with number five on this list.

4. Dez Bryant, WR, Cowboys

Another prolific wide receiver comes in at four on this list. When healthy, he is one of the most dominant and unstoppable receivers in the game. In 2014 he put up 1,320 receiving yards and an incredible 16 receiving touchdowns to lead the league. Off field problems used to be a concern for Dez, but he has put these behind and will look to add on to his 59 touchdown going into 2016.

5. Josh Norman, CB, Redskins

Welcome to the NFC East, Mr. Norman. The former Carolina Panther will get to go up against #3 and #4 on this list twice a year! In his only matchup with Dez Bryant, he limited him to one catch for six yards on Thanksgiving Day. Last year Norman also fared just find against the other top receivers in the league. He held Julio Jones, Deandre Hopkins, Mike Evans, and TY Hilton to a combined 8 receptions for 83 yards. In 2015 opposing quarterbacks had a passer rating of 54.0 when throwing at Mr. Norman, which was the lowest rating allowed by all corners. He was one of the most important players on the 15 win Panthers and defending NFC champions. The Redskins expect him to continue reading quarterbacks and making high energy game changing plays.

6. Fletcher Cox, DT, Eagles

Fletcher Cox was a deodorant to the Eagles terrible 2015 season. The Eagles locked him up with a six-year $102.6 million deal, which was the most for a defense player until Von Miller signed with the Broncos. Cox played all over the field and was the most versatile defender within the Eagles 3-4 defense under former defensive coordinator Bill Davis. Although this was not the ideal scheme for him, he still set a career-high with 9.5. In 2016, the Eagles are switching to a 4-3 defensive scheme under Jim Schwartz, which will enable Cox to man the defense tackle position and run right over offensives lines. If the Eagles compete for a playoff spot, Fletcher will be in the DPOY discussion.

7. Jordan Reed, TE, Redskins

Jordan Reed was absolutely incredible during the Redskins hot streak at the end of 2016. He was a man amongst babies on the field. Reed had five touchdowns while the Skins went 3-0 (weeks 14-16) during their pivotal playoff push. He had 25 catches in these three games and clearly became Cousin’s favorite target. The third year tight end from Florida has been plagued with injuries throughout his career, but when healthy he is uncoverable and unstoppable.

8. Travis Frederick, C, Cowboys

This former late first round pick is the anchor to the Cowboys stellar offensive line. He excels in the run game but has also helped keep Romo off his back. Last year Frederick earned his second straight selection to the Pro Bowl. The former Badger is one of the most reliable centers and at age 25, he will continue to improve going forward. Ezekiel Elliot is thrilled to be running behind Frederick and number one of the list.

9. Eli Manning, QB, Giants

Whatever happens in the rest of his career, Eli still deserves a spot on this list because of his two spectacular journeys to win the Super Bowl. Eli will always be in his father and brother’s shadow, but has put together an impressive career. He holds the records for the most completions, passing yards, and passing touchdowns for a New York Giants Quarterback. With Bob Mcadoo taking over as head coach with a new scheme, Eli and Odell will look to improve their vertical connection and return to the post season.

10. Olivier Vernon, DE, Giants

Another New York Giant rounds out the list. Vernon was a free agent acquisition by the GMen. He has been steadily improving with the Dolphins since 2012 and is an elite run defender and solid pass rusher. He has been super durable and did not miss a game for the Dolphins in his young four-year career. In these 64 games in the league he has a respectable 29 sacks and 196 total tackles. Fans across the country will be interested to see if this four-year $85 million contract was a good investment for the Giants.

The Next 5:

Zack Martin, G, Cowboys

Malcolm Jenkins, S, Eagles

Tony Romo, QB, Cowboys

Kirk Cousins, QB, Redskins

Sean Lee, LB, Cowboys