Is It Possible To Keep Your Kid Safe On The Internet?
News

By this point, the Internet has become a normal, natural part of everyday life. And that's not just true for adults.

11

Kids learn to navigate devices like smartphones and tablets from a very early age. In fact, Generation Z is the first generation totally native to the Internet.

This is both a great benefit and a concern for parents. On the one hand, the Internet is a fabulous resource. It's a place to go for information, entertainment, and even education. Gadgetry allows us to stay in contact with others, express ourselves more fully, and play in new ways. However, the digital realm isn't always the safest place for young people to be.

As every mom and dad knows, the Internet is filled with potential risks. Kids can end up being exposed to unwanted messaging, images, and videos. Unfortunately, children don't always have the wherewithal to know what's appropriate right away. This puts the responsibility on parents to figure out ways to protect their children while still allowing them access occasionally.

Strategies to Keep Children Safer Online

Are you wondering if you have to keep your children away from the Internet until they're teens? That probably won't work. Most kids will have some kind of interaction with online, especially when they start entering preschool or kindergarten. Nevertheless, you can take some steps to gain more control over what they're seeing, reading, and hearing online.

1. Buy a first phone with zero Internet access.

Kids are getting their first smartphones at earlier and earlier ages. The reasons vary. For instance, some divorced parents like to keep in touch with their children daily via texts or Facetime. Other moms and dads appreciate knowing their kids can call them any time from sports practice or a friend's house.

Buying a child's first cell phone presents a problem, though. Most smartphones have safety features, but the features can be cumbersome to use. That's especially true for parents who aren't tech-savvy. Plus, kids are notorious for being creative and clever enough to bypass parental controls.

A better choice is to purchase a kids' smartphone without access to the Internet. Companies like Gabb sell different children's phone models that enable communication and picture-taking but can't connect to online. They don't come with a pre-downloaded App Store interface, either. Consequently, you can feel more confident knowing your child can connect with the outside more safely.

2. Make bedrooms device-free zones.

Where do most kids like to hang out when they have unfettered access to the Internet? Their bedrooms, of course! They sneak away and end up playing games or surfing online for hours. But this type of behavior leaves them open to being targeted at worst or misinformed at best.

From the time your child is young, set rules like no devices in bedrooms for minors in your house. This includes visiting youngsters, such as their friends. Insist that all smartphones, laptops, and tablets be housed in a common area like the living room or family room. At night, make sure devices are plugged in and charging.

When kids use their devices, tell them that they need to be around the rest of the family. Of course, be understanding and respectful if they're doing homework in the kitchen or dining room. That way, they won't try to push back against your house rules—at least until they're teens! Over time, you may want to loosen your strictness around when and where they can use devices. However, start with tight parameters.

3. Check your child's browsing history regularly.

Even if you're not 100% comfortable with technology, you need to understand how to look at your child's browsing history. Kids have a way of checking out the Internet and heading down online "rabbit holes." Sometimes, those holes aren't what you would want.

Every now and then, visit the sites your child has recently stopped on. See if you approve of them or not. If you notice any red flags, sit down with your youngster immediately. Your job is to intervene at the first sign of possible Internet danger.

It's worth noting that kids, especially technically gifted ones, may try to hide their browsing history. They search using incognito mode. Or they delete their history. You may want to purchase parent-friendly software like Kaspersky Safe Kids that shows historic visits, even if kids try to bypass the system. That way, you can be their gatekeeper, even if they say they don't need one. (Hint: They do and will for years.)

4. Watch for signs of tech addiction.

Both kids and adults can be prone to addictive behaviors, including addiction to the Internet and technology. These often manifest themselves in signs that indicate there's a problem. However, they can often be masked by the natural habits of kids.

For instance, one of the strongest signs of potential technology addiction is moodiness. Yet many kids go through ups and downs. This means parents may miss indications of problems until they get much worse.

In general, you know your children, preteens, and teens better than anyone else. If you notice any change in their routines or mental health, get them to a professional for a diagnosis. Even if they're not addicted to the Internet, they still deserve to feel better emotionally and psychologically.

5. Keep your children off social media until they're older.

Although sites like Facebook and Twitter have been around for more than a decade, social media is relatively new. At the same time, around 90% of teens use it in some capacity. However, most experts agree that social media isn't wise for kids not yet age 13.

Even though social media sites insist that kids verify their ages before getting accounts, the sites can be bypassed. You may need to be diligent to ensure your smart (and sneaky) 10-year-old doesn't engage in Snapchat.

The best way to monitor any type of social media is to talk about it openly. Make it easy for your kids to come to you when they think they're ready to handle social media use. Turn the experience into a positive one and a learning opportunity. Just don't make any assumptions. Your younger children may be more savvy with sites like Instagram and TikTok than you think.

Even when your kids enter adulthood, you'll want to protect them from harm. It's only natural. Start today by putting smart, effective safety guardrails around all their Internet dealings.