Zumba: The Workout I Wasn't Prepared For

"I left Zumba in the worst mood," Said no one ever

61
youtube

Earlier this week, I met up with some friends to go to the gym. We had planned to do our workout in the dance studio but didn’t realize there was a class being held in there. We didn’t know what class it was at first, and we were indecisive as to whether we should stay or not. We decided to stay, and boy was I glad we did. Zumba is a type of workout that I have always wanted to try, but never looked into. I had a lot more fun than I thought, even when I didn’t know what to expect from it. However, here are some things I wasn’t mentally or physically prepared for.

Rhythm is a key factor for Zumba.

I didn’t realize that there was more hand/eye coordination to Zumba than I imagined. If you have a dance background, the workout floods you with memories about counting to eight, how much time you spent learning “step together step” and everything in between. If you don’t have any sense of rhythm, be prepared to learn really quick. You learn that it may even be possible to step to the left and swing your hips to the right at the same time!

Sweating. A lot of sweating.

I wasn't expecting after the third song played, I would be dripping in sweat. There were more quick steps than my body could handle, and it definitely was a surprise on my part. Zumba has that affect on people. (Also, if you have seen this particular scene in the movie "The Game Plan," you'll get an idea of what we all looked like after the class!)

You burn more calories than you think.

You burn calories alright, but not just during the workout part. You probably will burn more just laughing at yourself in the mirror when you see that you are doing moves that you never thought were going to leave the bedroom mirror. I can assure you though, it actually isn’t as embarrassing as you think, especially when you see others doing the same funny moves as you.

Zumba can compare to the Wii game, “Just Dance."

Zumba is basically the real life version of Just Dance. You have a real life instructor and you aren’t in your room all by yourself, which means you are in public…doing these moves…On the bright side, other people are doing it too, and the instructor actually can help you improve on certain moves that you would only lose points on through the television screen.

You smile more than you work out.

There is something about dancing to today’s hits that make you get into such a great mood. When you realize you are shaping your body while having fun, it makes it more bearable than your average arm, abs, or leg workout. If your friends are with you during all of this, it makes it even better.

So, if you ever decide whether to join a Zumba class or not, do it. It improves balance, your sense of rhythm, and your self-confidence. It makes you feel like you aren’t working out when you really are. Zumba is not only a fun way to work out, but it gives you something to look forward to when you have the motivation to get yourself to the gym.