Here's Why Your Friends Should Always Come Before Your Relationship

Sisters before misters, ladies!

241
Photo by Katie Treadway on Unsplash

For a majority of elementary school, you are told that boys have cooties. As a result, you and your friends stay away from them and would rather spend your time playing "House" at recess. Boys are an afterthought, and for awhile, everything is innocent and simple.

Then comes middle school. Suddenly, everyone hits puberty and you and your friends start developing crushes. There's actual pressure to have a crush and at sleepovers, you are interrogated to tell everyone who your crush is. "if I tell you who my crush is, you have to tell me who yours is" was a common phrase I heard multiple times as a 12 and 13-year-old.

While some girls, such as myself, had a crush but did not really do anything about it, there's also girls who have had five "relationships" before they even begin high school. These middle school relationships consisted of texting each other hearts (<3), hugging at school, and putting the date you started dating on every social media possible. These relationships were not serious, but usually set the tone for high school.

High school is a difficult time for everyone, but you grow up and learn a lot of valuable life lessons that will carry you through the rest of your life. Between my junior and senior year, many of my friends entered into serious relationships, different from the ones in middle school. I was incredibly happy for them, but I began to realize which of my friends made their boyfriend their top priority. While having a boyfriend is a great thing, I firmly believe your friends should always come first.

I understand spending time with your boyfriend is fun and doing cute relationship things is exciting, but never forget about the friends who have been there for you through difficult times and provide you with good advice and endless laughs. If your friends show concern for your boyfriend, do not shoot them down or deny their advice. They want the best for you, and can often see problems you may not be able to see.

I am by no means saying all girls in relationships do this or preaching about how you should break up with your boyfriend or something like that. But I am saying that there should be a balance between your relationship and your friendships. Friendships are equally as important as your relationship.

For example, if you decline multiple invitations to hang out with your friends because you're hanging out with your boyfriend, you shoot down your friend's red flag they've noticed from your boyfriend, or you barely text your friends anymore because you only talk/hang out with your boyfriend, do not be surprised when your friends stop asking you to hang out or texting you.

Because what's going to happen when you and your boyfriend break up? You won't have any friends left, and you'll only have yourself to blame because you put a boy you've known for a few months before friends you've known for years.

It's also very important to remember that no matter how badly you want a relationship, do not lose yourself in it. Do not constantly give in to your boyfriend just because you'd rather avoid fighting than voicing your opinion. If you don't like something, say it. If you don't want to do something, don't do it.

Your boyfriend does NOT control you or your life. Your friends may notice things before you do, and you should listen to them. The first few months of a relationship consist of rose-colored glasses and infatuation, so your judgment is unclear.

Basically, if you find yourself complaining about the negative aspects of your boyfriend and the relationship rather than the good traits and feelings, you may have a problem. The best thing to do is to get out of the relationship early while it is not too serious yet. It might be hard, but your friends will be there for you and will help you through it.

I guess what I am saying is that I want to go back to elementary school when everything was simple and fun. There was no drama between friends over boys. You played games at recess, you watched High School Musical, and ate snacks and did blind makeovers.

I'm just kidding, but it definitely was a less complicated time.

Luckily, this drama and awkwardness can all be avoided by remembering to always balance your relationship and friendships.