Being Clingy In A Relationship Is Toxic

Don't Be The Clingy Girl Who Doesn't Leave Her Partner's Side, I Was And My Behavior Was Toxic

Clinginess is unhealthy, whether you realize it or not.

109

We all know that girl.

The girl that is always hanging around her boyfriend, no matter where he goes or what he's doing.

Her boyfriend wants to go hang out with his friends one night? Well, of course, the girl has to tag along.

Her boyfriend wants to play video games in solitude? The girl has to sit right next to him for hours until he's finished.

I know that girl.

I was that girl.

And eventually, I realized that being that girl was toxic and unhealthy.

In many adolescent relationships, one partner feels the need to always be around the other.

It may work out for a while, as the relationship is new and exciting.

But eventually, the other partner starts to feel suffocated and seeks a way out.

As humans, we cherish the time we spend with those we love, however, we also need space and time alone.

Relationships are all about balance, in every sense of the word. There's nothing wrong with admiring your partner and wanting to spend time with them unless it becomes your only hobby.

When you've lost sight of your other interests and hobbies, and only focus on your partner, it's time to take a closer look at what's going on in your head.

Attachment issues and separation anxiety are caused by events in your childhood. Maybe your father wasn't around much growing up, or you felt left out by your family.

Whatever the case, if you had any feelings of neglect, chances are, it's carried into adulthood. You may find yourself latching on to that one person, praying and hoping they never leave your side.

You're insecure that they may wake up one day and not love you anymore. So, you smother them with your love every single day, to ensure you have a place in their world.

Relationships are ruined by this clingy behavior, no matter how strong the love and connection was in the beginning.

If you're in this position, use this as a wake-up call to fix your relationships for the better. Start investing in your hobbies again. Hang out with the friends you haven't seen in months. Spend uninterrupted alone time doing things you love. Start loving yourself and value the person that you are.

Because at the end of the day, no one wants to be that girl.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.