9 Things You Might Actually Be If You're Not A Feminist

It doesn't matter if you're not a feminist, but here's what does matter.

552
Women in the World

After the historical and remarkable Women's Marches that went on around the globe on January 21, a few women used their writing platforms to speak on the topic of gender and how they are not a feminist. Anyone can choose what labels they want, but this is not an issue of whether you want to call yourself a feminist. It's an issue about why.

Congratulations to the women who have been writing those articles. You're not a feminist, but here's what you (probably) are.

1. Heteronormative.

When you say you're not a feminist, how often is it because you think men are treated unfairly? Or that you think God put women on this planet to love men? Whatever it is, it's always something about loving men and how it's okay to be submissive to men and perpetuate gender stereotypes.

Queer women exist. There's a stereotype out there that all feminists are lesbians and all lesbians are feminists, but this fails to acknowledge that not all feminists identify as women and that not all feminists are misandrists. So as you go on about how it's okay to be submissive to your boyfriend, husband, whoever -- just remember that there are a lot of queer women in this world who will never be submissive to their boyfriends because they will never want to be involved with a man that way.

2. Colorblind.

You're probably colorblind, and if you did identify as a feminist, you would probably be a "white feminist," which means a feminist who fails to acknowledge intersectionality. More importantly, you probably fail to recognize that women of color are marginalized more than white women. So as you talk about your boyfriend and continue to stereotype a movement almost a century old, you probably don't even take into consideration race whatsoever.

Now you're probably thinking: "Why should I?"

Because if you have a friend who is a woman of color and you claim to not be a feminist, chances are it's because you "don't see color" and so not only is gender equity not important to you, but neither is racial equity. You probably live in a post-feminist and post-racism fantasy world.

3. Misinformed.

There are countless stereotypes about feminism, and the one you see most often is that feminists aren't about gender equity, they're actually just man-haters. Where did you hear that stereotype from? A family member who believes in traditional values? A meme your high school classmate shared? An unreliable source? Either way, Googling feminism shows surprising results.

Another thing you can do is actually talk to a feminist. Talk, and listen. By listen, I don't mean listen only to reply, I mean listen to understand. You have stated your opinions on feminism already. So sit back and listen to what a feminist has to say. Chances are, they'll probably say "feminism is the belief of gender equity based on political, social, and economic grounds." That doesn't appear to be misandrist at all, does it?

On top of that stereotype, you probably assume feminists are conventionally unattractive, have only a degree in women's studies (like that's a bad thing?), and don't research anything. In reality, feminists come in all shapes and sizes and are different races and genders. Many feminists have degrees in countless fields of studies, and considering that this is a movement that's been going on for decades, there is a substantial amount of research, discourse, theory, and credible, peer-reviewed sources to support what feminists say.

4. An internal misogynist.

You probably love the whole "girl power!" concept, right? You don't like feminism but you like the idea of your "gal pals" or "sisters" supporting you. I mean, there's nothing wrong with support from friends, but the issue with "girl power" is it is a commercialized concept meant to lure consumers to buy "girl power" based products. It makes you feel okay to being girl, which IS okay, but the problem is when you begin to think it's okay that women aren't strong or smart or that they always have to be pretty, dainty, fragile, and so on.

You start to think women are always physically weaker than men. Even though that's not true, there are countless women out there who have beautifully muscular bodies and lots of men out there who have beautifully slender bodies. You start to think that men are engineers and doctors and lawyers and it's okay if you just want to be a teacher, women naturally love kids. You believe these ideas that are constantly being proven wrong and constantly perpetuate gender stereotypes.

It's okay if you don't want to be a doctor and that you do want to be a teacher, but what's not okay is when you're so conditioned by society you don't think you can be anything but a teacher or hold another "woman's job." The issue is not about what women want or don't want, the issue is in the way gender scripts force people to perform and be a certain way. It's fine to be a girly girl, it's fine to be a masculine girl, it's fine to be a feminine guy, it's fine to be a guy's guy, it's fine to be neither or a little of both and it's fine to just not identify as either man or woman.

5. "Not like most women."

You're so cool, and while you're not a feminist, you're also "not like most women." You like beer, you like hunting, you voted for Trump, you hate drama, whatever, you know? You're so obviously not like most women. Basically, you perpetuate gender stereotypes by congratulating yourself on how you don't fit those stereotypes. The problem isn't if you like feminine things or masculine things, the problem is that women are expected to and often forced to be feminine and men are expected to and often forced to be masculine.

Now you're probably thinking "yes, men are forced by stereotypes too!" This is true, but masculinity has privilege over femininity because to be masculine means to be "strong" or "smart," and to be feminine means the opposite. Men shouldn't be expected to be strong, but women have to be strong in order to break the glass ceiling. Women who are strong become "ugly," and men who are passive become [insert homophobic vocabulary here].

6. Micro-aggressive.

You meet a girl and she's really cool, down-to-earth, and laid back. Then you find out she's a feminist. You say, "Oh, you're pretty calm for a feminist."

You meet a girl whose makeup is always on point and then she tells you she has a girlfriend. "Oh, you're really pretty for a lesbian."

You hang out with a black woman and you say "Can I touch your hair?"

You meet a guy whose name is Rohit and you ask him where he's from. When he says he's from Michigan you ask, "Okay, but where are you really from?"

Often times microaggressions are formed around stereotypes, and in your articles you've written or shared that stereotype feminists as being crazy radicals, chances are you stereotype everyone and are micro-aggressive.

8. Privileged.

If you say you aren't a feminist, and you don't agree with the Women's March, and you don't see any sexism in this world -- how privileged of you. Something in your life has made it so you don't have to worry about women's health, reproductive rights or any of the issues the women have marched for. I'll assume it's class privilege where money isn't exactly an issue, and probably a race issue, too. It is a privilege to not support women fighting for women's rights. It doesn't matter if you don't call yourself a feminist or go out and march.

The issue is that the reasons why these women are marching and fighting don't affect you, apparently. You are fortunate that you don't have to care about them. And there's nothing wrong with being fortunate. There is, however, something wrong with denouncing or flat-out denying the struggles of others because of it.

9. Oppressed.

Despite the fact that you're privileged enough to dodge the issues -- you're a woman. And being a woman means you're oppressed for that, whether you recognize it or not. You might not feel oppressed, but oppression and patriarchy's influence can come in different forms. Maybe you haven't been told that "you can't do that because you're a woman" or they haven't looked at you like a sexual object or whatever.

But think of the ways you've been conditioned. Maybe you wanted to be an astronomer when you were a kid, but as you grew up you were slowly conditioned to believe you could only be in a passive profession. Maybe you weren't allowed to get dirty or your mother always dressed you up in pink as a child. Maybe you had eyes staring at you all your life that you've always felt objectified to the point it seems normal.

And don't just look at this from the past, but also the future. What if in the future you unexpectedly become pregnant in a time when financially it's hard and the father is out of the picture, but at this point in the future Planned Parenthood isn't around to help you anymore? What if you have a little girl from an unexpected pregnancy and you don't want her to get knocked up, but birth control is no longer available?

Don't just look at the way things are now, but think about the future that is so unpredictable. You can say "that'll never happen to me" but you'll never know, and you won't know who it will happen to. Right now you might think sexism doesn't exist in this world but when you get older and you start to feel its effects, will you regret not marching with those women? Will you regret not being a feminist? Again, the future is unpredictable.

You might not be a feminist, but these are things that you (probably) are.