A Response To "I Am a Female and I Am So Over Feminists"

If you're for equality, you're a feminist.

216
The Daily Signal

Many of you might have seen the article, "I am a Female And I Am So Over Feminists". It was posted a few months ago but I am only now just seeing it. She's right when she says it; everyone is entitled to their opinions. But a core part of hers is factually and definitionally incorrect:

1. "Men and women are meant to complement one another—not to be equal or to over-power. The genders are meant to balance each other out. There’s nothing wrong with it."

2. "However, I don’t believe that being a female entitles me to put down men and claim to be the “dominant” gender. There is no “dominant” gender. There’s just men and women. Women and men. We coincide with each other, that’s that. Time to embrace it."

She's right...there is no dominant gender, but that's not what feminism is about. On the record, the standard definition of feminism is "the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men."

Equality. NOT superiority.

Now it's time for my opinion. First off, I'd like to thank Feminism and the the Feminist movement(s) because without it, I can assure you I wouldn't even be having the medium to write this article, or the balls to say it. Secondly, next time you think feminism is being "shoved down your throat" or is "pushy" or whatever negative connotation you want to give it, just remember that without feminism, we (especially women) would have a lot of nothing. We would not be able to vote, own property, get divorced, have access to birth control, wear fucking pants, play sports in schools...the list is endless.

I just want to highlight a few of the ways where I personally believe that the author of the original article is insanely misinformed:

1. "First of all, this is the 21st century. Women have never been more respected."

Have you watched any of the presidential debates? Donald Trump only interrupted Hillary Clinton fifty-one times during the first debate. Just fifty-one, no biggie, right?

Aside from that, Hillary Clinton has been insanely disrespected by the media for decades now. If you want just a highlight reel of that, here you go.

That's just in politics; one arena of countless examples. So, women have never been more respected? I'd think not. Sure, we've come a long way in America and many other countries. I'll admit that. But no. Just no.

In many parts of the world, the momentum is slow going if it's going at all. In Asian and African countries such as Somalia, 90% of girls still undergo Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) despite massive efforts by governments, and organizations such as UNICEF, which is exactly what it sounds like. It is a practice that has been happening for thousands of years and females who do not undergo FGM are considered unfit for marriage (among other things). FGM might involve sewing of the vagina, removal of the clitoris, etc. Such procedures result in intense pain during intercourse, childbirth, urination, and menstruation.

In many countries such as Pakistan, women (and men) have been subject to acid attacks, usually by men, for reasons such as declining marriage proposals, wanting a divorce, or no apparent "reason" at all. The documentary Saving Face details the work that has been done to criminalize this offense (yes, previously this was not even illegal) and rehabilitative surgeries and procedures that are offered to victims.

But yeah, you're right. Women have never been more respected.

2. "Whatever happened to chivalry? Why is it so “old fashioned” to allow a man to do the dirty work or pay for meals? Feminists claim that this is a sign of disrespect, yet when a man offers to pick up the check or help fix a flat tire (aka being a gentleman), they become offended."

What has happened to chivalry is that anyone can be chivalrous regardless of gender; I like to call that being a nice and considerate person. I'm always really pumped and flattered when ANYONE wants to pay for my meal because I'm a poor college student. I don't sigh and stomp my feet if a man doesn't hold a door open for me. It's sort of common courtesy to hold the door for someone, and I personally do it for everyone. I didn't jump up and down with joy today when a boy walking back to my building saw I was out of hands and offered to swipe me in and held the door. WOW WHAT A GENTLEMAN. No! WOW WHAT A HUMAN BEING.

I don't know about you, but I've never seen someone go into a feminist rage when a guy holds the door for them. And I don't know who these "feminists" are that you speak of who claim it's a sign of disrespect, but I can tell you right now that this feminist does not think that at all.

3. "The male body is meant to endure more physically while the female is more delicate."

Childbirth is considered to be one of the most physically difficult things the human body can endure, and last time I checked, men don't have vaginas and therefore can't give birth.

4. "For example, during that same class discussion that I mentioned before, one of the young ladies in the room complained about how the NFL does not allow female athletes. I mean, really? Can you imagine being tackled by a 220-pound linebacker? Of course not."

No. I couldn't. However, is that an excuse to not have a women's equivalent to the NFL? If you aren't already familiar, I'd like to introduce you to Title IX.

Title IX states that, "no person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."

Granted, the NFL does not receive federal assistance, but every single public school in the country does. Prior to 1972, if any female athletic teams existed, they were poorly funded and managed. So you're right, I don't want to be tackled by a 220-pound linebacker. But I also want athletic women to be celebrated for who they are. If even Simone Biles faces such sexism, just imagine how hard it is for women athletes not on the olympic level.

5. "Up until about the '80s or so, many women didn’t work as much as they do now."

Just...just go watch Mad Men. Or something. Or a documentary. Or like anything about World War II. I'm losing my mind.

And either way, that is no excuse for the pay gap. Sure, men have been working longer historically. So...are you telling me I need to work a millennia to make the same wage as men? Then and only then I am allowed to "complain" that I only make on average eighty cents to the man's dollar? I don't really have that long to wait, sorry not sorry.

6. "Though there is still considered to be a glass ceiling for the working female, it’s being shattered by the perseverance and strong mentality of women everywhere. So, let’s stop blaming men and society about how we continue to “struggle” and praise the female gender for working hard to make a mark on today’s workforce. We’re doing a kick-ass job, let’s stop the complaining."

There is "considered" to be a glass ceiling? Bro. There is one. Yes, it's slowly getting shattered but we all need to keep working at it. I don't know about you, but I'm not settling with just "improvement."

Lastly what bothered me the most was how the author kept saying feminists "complain" and "blame men" for their problems. Nope. Not a once do I do that. The problems our society face are a sum total of everyone's choices, not just the choices of men. We all need to work together to work towards equality for all. Working separately will only result in equality for some.

Now I leave you with perhaps my favorite sticker off all time - thanks RedBubble.