You Know You Miss The City When

You Know You Miss The City When

"Do you miss New York? Me too, me too, me too, me too!" - Susannah Mccorkle

8
You Know You Miss The City When
new yorker

Being a student, or even a resident of New York City means that you have a range of opportunities and possibilities at your footstep. New York brings with it a variety in everything that there is, be it in the choice of pizza, shopping destination, or hangout spot.

Subsequently, being away from New York can cause some major nostalgia. Here is a look at a few symptoms you might show if you miss the city too much:

1. You wake up in the middle of night because it is too quiet.

Yes, New York is known for being noisy and loud with the chatter of enthusiastic females, arguments, and fights between people, and most importantly, the sirens and constant honking of horns. It grows on us, and we habitually fall asleep to this sound. Any change means one thing: insomnia.

2. Which reminds me of Insomnia Cookies (and getting food delivered in general)

This bakery based in New York and Philadelphia might be all over the United States, but nothing makes a better midnight snack than these cookies. Oh, and these cooking are perfect to binge on during finals week. Everyone knows that.

Also, being too lazy to cook, or to even go down to the closest deli or cafe, calls for an order in to Seamless or Grubhub.

3. You are in your car, and you feel like you haven't walked in ages.

Well, that is because if you live in New York, you learn to walk everywhere. To rephrase, you learn to be the "fastest walkers." Since we spend a major part of our lives being broke in the city, everyone resorts to walking, and being away from the city, while driving, you certainly start to miss it.

4. You miss Central Park like home.

Having a bad day? Go to Central Park. Is the weather too good to be true? Go to Central Park. Can't decide where to hang out today? Go to Central Park! Central Park is like home to all of us, so being away from it certainly causes tears of nostalgia. This results in going to the gallery on your phone, looking at your Instagram-worthy photos at Central Park, and reminiscing.

5. One word: Food

New York is a hub of eating joints and cuisines. Bagels with cream cheese and coffee for breakfast, Chinese food for lunch, Cheetos, cheese and crackers, and a sandwich from the closest deli with more coffee during snacktime, then some more coffee, and then the $1 pizza for dinner, because you are practically broke by the end of the day, is the New York lifestyle. If you miss this, then my friend, you should know that you are not alone.

6. Being one with the subway

How can one live in New York and not be disgusted and nervously laughing at the same time, because of the shameless advertisements, shady looks, and the sweaty scents of the subway? If you miss it like I do, then something is probably wrong with both of us! Don't care!

7. The people

Never have I met such diverse people living in the same city together. There are the business people, who, although look too cool to be traveling in the subway, are still there every day (shout out to all the hot guys we get to see in suits!) Then, there are the shady ones who stare at you, or are ready to pick a fight with just about anybody in the middle of the street. Then, there are the tourists, who we all like to make fun of, but secretly know that we would totally behave like them, too, if we were them holidaying in New York. Then, there are the real New Yorkers, fast walkers, and loud talkers. But what we miss the most is the beautiful diversity, and how, somehow, everyone lives together amidst their craziness and their ambition to fulfill their dreams.

So, while living in New York isn't the easiest because Jay Z doesn't say "and since I made it here, I can make it anywhere" for no reason, the city is certainly like no other. So no matter what part of the world we are in, New York will always be on our minds and in our thoughts.