You Don't Need To Be Fearless

You Don't Need To Be Fearless

But, you do need to do the things you are afraid of.

161
You Don't Need To Be Fearless
SugarScape

If your taste in music is anything like mine, you have probably listened to "Fearless" by Taylor Swift more times than you can count. Whether you are consumed by the recent drama between Kim Kardashian, Kayne West and Taylor Swift or you could honestly care less, I'm sure you have heard the song. But, don't stop reading yet because I am not here to discuss their drama.

I'm here to let you know you don't have to be fearless. It is silly to say as humans that we should not be afraid of anything. Everyone is afraid of something and some individuals have more fears than others. When you Google "most common fears," the first few results are the fear of flying, public speaking and heights. I happen to be partly afraid of flying and public speaking, but whether your fears are among some of the most common or you feel no one else shares the same fears it is certainly OK to feel afraid.

We don't have to pretend we are all super men and women, but it is not OK to let fear have any control over your life. I don't think you should expect yourself to be fearless, but you should try to be brave and courageous.

If you're not doing anything that makes you afraid, are you really living? Our fears are our limits. If you stay inside these limits you are going to miss out on some great opportunities. I hate public speaking, but I still get up in front of people and do the best I can. I also hate flying, but I don't let that fear stop me from seeing the world, so I still find myself boarding a plane every now and then. I don't deny that I fear certain things, but I don't let them prevent me from living my life to the fullest. If I did grant them this power, I would be hindering my growth as an individual. This summer I navigated the airport and flew by myself for the first time. Yes, it was nerve-wracking and once I did this I felt confident and proud of myself -- two results of not letting my fear get the best of me.

Throughout the course of your life you will have to make many life decisions. Some of these decision are small, and others can be life changing. You may fear leaving your current relationship for a different one. You may fear quitting your job to pursue a different career. If you've just graduated high school, you may be fearing picking the "wrong" college. These are just a few examples that come to mind for me, but I think if it scares you, it might just be a good thing to try.

It is more than OK to be afraid, but don't let your fears stop you from doing things that add to your life. Whatever you are afraid of, do those things in spite of the fear. I promise that you will live with less regrets. Letting go of trying to be fearless and just doing the things you're afraid of will add to your self-confidence. You will be amazed at what you can do when you don't let fear make the decisions for you. With time you may even conquer many of your fears.