Yoga: Not just Savasana

Yoga: Not just Savasana

Yoga is an intricate form of exercise, packing a serious punch!

14
Yoga: Not just Savasana
PopSugar

Yoga: more than an exercise, a way of life.

Walk into any yoga studio and in one way or another, those words will be engrained. Sitting in a reclined butterfly position or a downward dog, you may not feel that way, but trust me, you are transforming. Just 8 weeks ago, I fell in love with the art, as I like to refer to it more than exercise. Each pose gets more and more refined every class to where you enjoy the poses more and more and dread savasana less and less because it means the practice is closing.

8 weeks ago I walked into my local Power Yoga studio just on a whim. A chance to try something new and get more meditation in throughout the day. I have to admit, I was anxious about the high heat and power style, considering I have never done Power Yoga before. I was a bundle of nerves before class began. However, I found the yoga experience to be nothing anxiety-inducing in the slightest. Instead of judgment, there was support. Rather than having “personal space” as a concept, we were encouraged to touch each other if we extended our arms long enough. Sweat was not even a consideration as everyone was dripping within the first half hour. Music was not a thing in my class, as instead we were told positive affirmations and messages. Each class, there is a different message including vitality, equanimity, triumph, and fearlessness.

8 weeks have gone by since that first day, and I cannot stress enough how much my life has drastically changed due to power yoga. Flowing through vinyasa’s and breathing in ujjayi together builds a sense of community. I used to look forward to running over to Starbucks after a class, but now I have been focused more on being in the moment and being mindful. Not thinking about the espresso I will get and focusing more on how I can stay in warrior 1, or how I can get off the ground in crow pose has brought a new sense of stillness to my mind.