WWE Roadblock: End Of The Line

WWE Roadblock: End Of The Line

Raw fails in it's last pay-per-view of the year.

26
WWE Roadblock: End Of The Line
google

Wrapping up a successful year, WWE's RAW looked to finish off on a strong note with Roadblock. On paper, the match card is mouthwatering. Some of the biggest stars on RAW were competing in high-stake matches and it was a pay-per-view that I did not want to miss.

(Pre-Show) Rusev def. Big Cass - N/A

Before the match even started, Big Cass and Enzo Moore hyped everyone up with their amazing mic work and charisma. As Rusev entered, Big Cass didn't waste any time as he bombarded Rusev with a combination of strikes. Big Cass dominated as Rusev tried to escape through the stands. This led to a double count-out resulting in a very disappointing and short match.

The WWE Universe can only hope this rivalry quickly dies down. Both superstars deserve a push, and frankly, the rivalry does nothing for them. Rusev needs to get back in the United States Championship picture while Enzo and Big Cass challenge for the Raw Tag Team Championships.

(Raw Tag Team Championship) Cesaro and Sheamus def. The New Day - 3.5/5

Going into the match, I wasn't sure who would walk away as the champion. The New Day recently broke the record for tag team title reign with over 478 days as champions! This was a big opportunity for WWE creative to change the face of the tag team division and grant Cesaro and Sheamus with a victory over The New Day.

The New Day had another awesome entrance on their way to the ring, taunting and trash talking the challengers. Kofi Kingston donned beautiful Christmas Tights as he prepared to defend his championship. This match was everything I expected it to be. It was not as long as I hoped but as long as it lasted, I was on the edge of my seat hoping to see Cesaro and Sheamus walk out with those belts. There were moments during the match where it turned chaotic and It looked like The New Day was going to retain again, but Sheamus finally pinned Kingston and ended the historic reign of The New Day.

Sami Zayn def. Braun Strowman - N/A

This match was probably the least anticipated match of the night for me. The rivalry between Zayn and Strowman is pointless and does nothing for either superstar in the long run. The WWE is trying to hype up this monster in Strowman, but they're booking him against weaker and smaller opponents. I know Strowman is a beast, but I'm getting tired of squash matches. WWE should build him up, but in order for fans to buy into the gimmick, he needs to be booked against the likes of Roman Reigns, The Big Show, Mark Henry, Kane, John Cena, and Brock Lesnar! Booking him with a cruiserweight will not sell the WWE Universe on the gimmick he is trying to move forward with.

The match with Zayn was, at best, a crowd-snoozer. I'm pretty sure, up until the last two minutes, the only utilized move was the clothesline by Strowman. It reminded me a lot of a Brock Lesnar match, just not as bad. Zayn survived for ten minutes and was granted the victory, but nobody realized he won... because the WWE Universe was never informed that Zayn would automatically win the match if he lasted exactly ten minutes.

How disappointing.

Seth Rollins def. Chris Jericho - 3.25/5

Easily the best-looking match on paper, Rollins v Jericho promised not to disappoint. Sadly, it did. Anybody who knows these two men also knows that they don't step into the squared circle without giving it all they've got.

Chris Jericho is one of the most entertaining wrestlers I've ever seen perform, and entertain he did.

My review is mainly negative, but the match was not bad. It just wasn't what an average WWE fan would expect out of these two superstars. It felt like a basic RAW match. Jericho and Rollins have faced off almost every week on RAW and by the time Roadblock came up, we were all tired of the match-up.

As expected, Kevin Owens rushed out to ringside and tried to prevent Rollins from a victory but it backfired as Jericho was the one who got distracted, allowing Rollins to hit a pedigree and pin him for the three count.

(Cruiserweight Championship) Rich Swan def. The Brian Kendrick, TJ Perkins - 2/5

Well... At least Neville returned.

(30 Minute Ironman Match) [Raw Women's Champio] Charlotte Flair def. Sasha Banks - 2/5

Wow... Easily the biggest disappointment of the night. These two have been to hell and back together in that ring. They have had some of the craziest matches and they have made history. The Women's Revolution is led by these two combatants, and the WWE Universe was expecting their best match yet to end their storied rivalry.

The match was very bad. It picked up during the last few minutes, but it was too late. Charlotte Flair walked out as the champion. What a terrible ending to a beautiful rivalry. The Women's Championship feels like a joke at this point because it keeps going back and forth. With every title win, the championship feels weaker.

Now that the rivalry is over, the WWE must find a way to legitimize the title.

(WWE Universal Championship) Kevin Owens def. Roman Reigns via DQ - 3.5/5

Kevin Owens and Roman Reigns are among the hottest superstars on RAW, and this match was exciting, but everyone knew the ending to this match before it started: Roman will lose due to the fact that he is United States Champion and the WWE is starting to care more about their minor championships.

Roman Reigns is this Era's 'Big Dog'. He is 'The Guy'. I don't envision anyone who can beat him for the U.S Championship, but I really want to see him lose it. He's too good to be holding a minor championship.

During the bout, challenger Roman Reigns was hard hitting and dominant in his attacks on Universal Champion Kevin Owens. I'm happy to say, both men briefly dominated momentum as it was a very close match. As Owens looked to be overpowering the challenger, Reigns countered with his signature high-impact moves. The most memorable part of the match was when Owens hit a frog splash to destroy the announcer's table. The match would soon end as Jericho rushed into the ring to hit a codebreaker on Owens, disqualifying Roman Reigns which grants Kevin Owens a victory.

After the men finish celebrating, Seth Rollins came out in aid of Reigns as they battered bestfriends Owens and Jericho. The show would end with Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins powerbombing Owens through another announcers table.

Verdict

As a whole, the show SUCKED. I was expecting a lot more from every match on the card. Roman Reigns, Kevin Owens, Cesaro, Sheamus, and The New Day were the only highlights during this very boring pay-per-view.

As the year comes to an end, WWE must now find a way to pick itself back up after its last two lackluster pay-per-views (TLC , Roadblock).

5.25/10