Writing For Odyssey

I have been writing for Odyssey for a little over three months now. It's an online magazine that allows millennials to have a voice. I decided to start writing for the site because I love to write, and I thought being forced to write once a week would help improve my writing. I was nervous at first because I wasn't sure I could come up with a new topic to write about each week. Sometimes it has been a challenge, but I am so thankful for the opportunity and have seen my writing improve immensely. I recommend anyone who loves to write to come join the Odyssey team. Here are a few reasons you should get involved with this amazing site.

1. Let your voice be heard

One reason I love writing for Odyssey is that I am able to use it as a platform to have my voice heard on different topics and issues. Writers get to choose what topics to write about. There is a lot of freedom in the style of writing as it can be opinion, a listicle, news, etc. It can be any topic. There's everything from summer to-do-lists to a draft summary on the Baltimore Ravens. There are endless possibilities.

2. Get your work published

Writers are required to write at least one article a week. Over time that turns into a lot of articles which are all displayed on your Odyssey profile. This is a great way to build up a writing portfolio that will be helpful to have when searching for a job after graduation.

3. Improve your writing

Everyone's writing is edited before being published. Articles are seen by several editors who spend time carefully reading each article, giving it back to the writer with corrections. This allows everyone's writing to be to the best of their ability.

4. Have your writing seen by others

Once an article is published to Odyssey, they recommend sharing it on social media. This is a great way for people to have their writing read. Some of my articles end up being shared by a ton of people. It's great to know my writing is being read. Also, Odyssey tracks how many shares you receive for each article, so you can see how many views you've gotten. They even have an incentive for writers to get more views. The writer who receives the most viewed article for the week receives twenty dollars.