People Who Don't Work Reflect Their Whole Generation In A Bad Light

When did work ethics equal a whole age group?

I'm sure everyone has seen that meme where the message has a guy saying, "You ever looked at a coworker and think 'How the hell are you still working here?'"

Well, I have a coworker like that. This person will come up with any way to not work. Which I continuously find hilarious since they begged my boss for the job because they just up and quit their previous job without a backup plan.

They'll come in, work for a little while, then find excuses to leave the floor. They need water. They need to use the bathroom. They need to call a few people. They need to send a text. They want to talk about a new diet they're trying. Then they want to fix themselves dinner. They get upset when they're told to do the work they're supposed to do. They rely on shortcuts and hacks to get out of doing it. Then they take 30 minutes to get ready to leave every evening. Mind you, they're only scheduled to work four and a half hours a day, second shift.

Recently, laziness on the job is blamed on Millennials. Yet, a few years ago, it was said that Millenials are more productive and economically innovative. Laziness at work or the inability to get a job was a prominent trait of Generation X.

Everyone in my personal circle is a Millennial with excellent work ethics. They all are in careers. Everyone I know that is from Generation X either bounce from job to job, work under-the-table jobs, or don't work at all.

My lazy coworker belongs to Generation X. I don't think that's a coincidence.

I'm not saying all Gen Xers are lazy and all Millennials are successful. However, I, and many others in my circle, have personally witnessed these things. Despite all the variables that could present a miscalculation in data, Generation X and Millennials tend to act similarly.

My personal work ethic came about because I wanted to escape my home life. I held down part-time jobs and high school to avoid being at home. Once I left home and went to college, I worked a lot to prove that I could support myself and not have to go back home.

I don't know why people don't want to work. Working provides people with the income to get whatever they need and want. Working not only gives one something to do but also provides a purpose in life other than just existing. Working is one of the foundations of living in America. So again, with all the benefits to working, I don't understand why there are people who don't want to work.

I could talk to this coworker about the benefits of working. I could get to the bottom of why they're so against doing the job they begged for. But some things people should One should want to dispel the nonworking stereotypes that society puts on Generation X and Millennials. Perhaps that's too much to ask for.