I Won't Buy PSU Football Season Tickets, Here's Why

5 Reasons Why I WON'T Buy Penn State Football Season Tickets

I think it's quite logical.

636
Trae Morgan-White

Yes, summer's here and college is the last thing on everyone's minds. But it also means that football season for Penn State is almost here, and season tickets are up for sale.

Considering how large Happy Valley is and how quickly tickets sell out, are season tickets truly worth the price?

In retrospect, during my freshman and sophomore year, I chose not to buy season tickets for the Nittany Lions, and honestly, I don't regret it. Yesterday, one of my close college friends asked if I was buying them and I solidly said, "No." On top of that, my other friends would show their ticket confirmations on social media, pumped for the fall.

Yay.

As a Penn State student, I know it's all about the pride and culture behind our lovely Nittany Lions. Hell, after our team won the Fiesta Bowl, it was a big deal for the players, the fans, alum, and students of the University. I'm proud to be a part of that.

Still, it doesn't mean I'll be losing sleep waiting to purchase my season tickets. Here's a few reasons why:

1. The popular demand.

Purchasing season tickets is like racing for the last popsicle in the freezer, it all depends on how quick you are.

And who the hell am I to compete against other students who honestly love Penn State football more than I do? There's so much popular demand for the tickets, and there's no waiting to get them.

You either buy or you don't. So, I don't.

2. I'm broke.

I'm not making an excuse.

I'll know what you'll say.

Usually when season tickets go up for sale, I'm contemplating what to buy for move-in day or what textbooks I'll need for my next set of classes.

On top of that, I'm pretty sure the price of my textbooks alone, whether for one semester or two, equal the price of season tickets.

I'm cheap.

Sometimes, you just don't have the money and that can be unfortunate for someone who'd love to go to every game!

3. Waste of money?

Here's a serious question. Throughout your fall semester, did you ever go to all home games at the Beaver Stadium? I know people who literally purchase season tickets just to sell them online.

It's a smart tactic, yes, but that, to me, limits the opportunities for people who really want to go.

But, if you're one of those students who would rather go to a few games for a cheaper price from someone else, do your thing.

Take it from me. I went to my first home game during sophomore year for less than $20.

But, the downside to this choice? People will sell tickets for bigger prices for important games. You know, like Pittsburgh or Ohio State. It all depends on you!

4. I'm not dedicated to the football culture.

I don't think I'm dedicated to any sport, actually.

Sure, I'll be down to watch a football game with friends and cheer my school's team on. I'd also rather watch it on television or check the scoreboard on my phone.

At least that's what I did during this year's Super Bowl.

I will say that after going to my first game, I've learned more about football — how long each quarter is, half-time events, etcetera, etcetera.

5. The Student Zone experience, from my perspective.

Trae Morgan-White

Rooting for your team is cool after a while, but from my experience in the 'S' Zone, I got tired immediately.

I remember after every touchdown the Nittany Lions made, it was the same thing: the chants, cheering, excessive screaming, and standing on the benches.

My legs were so sore, it was a nightmare. Bright side, we defeated Georgia State, so.

Overall, I think I'd much rather go to certain games once in a blue moon. Some things aren't for everyone. I just don't see the point in buying season tickets. I think that if I had the money or it was a lucky day, I'd buy them.

Other than that, congratulations to those who got their tickets on time and hopefully this season will be as good as last year!

Penn State's first game of the season is set for September 1.