Why Marching And Activism Are Still Important

Activism is still necessary.

94
Kelsey Lancaster

On Saturday, January 21, 2017, I attended the Women's March on Washington DC. When I have talked to people who were not involved in the march, they ask why I would attend an anti-Trump rally. This is a misconception about the march: it was not an "I hate Trump" rally. While there were many people there who are opposed to Trump, the march itself was not about that. It was about unity in protesting the regression of our culture. It was about advocating for our basic human rights as well as rights that we need to survive.

The march is a nonviolent gathering where we exercise our first amendment right to peaceful assembly and where, not even when provoked, do we fight back physically. But we do fight back with our intelligence. It is a place where people of all different backgrounds stick up for and educate one another.

So why is marching so important? For one, we are protesting with the hope of ending violence: violence towards women and hate crimes. Furthermore, we march for justice, so that rapist and sex offenders will serve the time that is befitting of their crime instead of a meager two months. We march because women should get a say in how they treat their body. Because men who have no idea what it is like to be a woman should not have the final say. Our constitution states that there is a separation of church and state meaning that if a religion thinks abortion is wrong, the government cannot allow that reasoning to affect our laws. If you do not believe abortion is morally right, do not partake in it. No one has the right to force another human to abide by your religious outlook on certain issues. If scientifically proven that a fetus at conception was alive, then you would have an argument and a real right for a law. However, when a fetus is actually considered alive is very controversial and has many different theories.

But I digress, back to why we march. We do it to end the oppression of the LGBTQ+ community, to be able to be who we are and love who we love. We march because having a disability whether mental or physical is not a joke or a laughing matter. It is not something to be dismissed. We march to protect immigrants who have just as much of a right to be here as everyone else. We march because all educated people know that global warming is very real. That our Earth, our water, our Home needs saving and protecting. This is not some hoax; it is quite easy to find factual information, especially scientific journals. We march because our education is important and should be accessible to all. Our educational system is flawed. It should be less about memorization to get good grades and more about actually learning. If this still does not convince you about why we march, go to the Women's March's homepage and see for yourself.

I marched not only for myself but for all of those who couldn't. I marched for the immigrants, for if you're not a Native, then that's what you are. I marched for our education which with Betsy in charge will be detrimental. Especially since she has no experience in the field herself. I march for our environment because clean water is essential to life. I march because our Earth is dying and people aren't taking it seriously. I march because health care is being taken away with no alternative in place. I march because our lives matter, no matter our skin color, gender, or sexuality. I march because disability is not something you can make fun of. I march because of the infringement of our first amendment rights as well has our human rights. I march because someone's religion does not make them a terrorist. Especially seeing as religious people are fallible and have committed many horrendous crimes pretending it was just and righteous all throughout history. I march because it seems people are more interested in a clump of cells than those thousands of children in foster care or even the children who have to flee their country due to bombings (i.e. Aleppo). There is so much injustice in this world, but people seem to be focused on trivial things such as a wall. A wall in which we the American people will have to pay for. All walls do is divide people. And as I was at the march, I found I was not alone in my thinking.

No amount of mental preparation could prepare anyone for the magnitude of the march or what it would feel like. My friend and I got a hotel room about two hours from D.C. because cost and availability were huge factors. After a seven hour drive, we made it to the hotel where we slept for about an hour before we had to drive forty-five minutes to the nearest metro station. Once there we waited in line for about two hours until we made it to the train. Once boarded and filled without an inch of moving room, we traveled the last hour-ish to the city. It may seem like a hassle and something to get tired of real quick, but it was not. We spent that time talking to those around us, swapping stories and excitement. Everyone we encountered was super friendly. The excitement in the air was more tangible than the student section at a championship game.

Once we made it to the streets, we could not move more than a foot without bumping into someone, not that anyone minded. Chants resounded in the air like a battle cry. Millions of people coming together in a sea of pink to fight for equality. Never in my life have I felt such a connection to people whom I have never had the pleasure of meeting until then. I felt so empowered, I was just so grateful that so many people decided to go and share their ideals and stories. Being an ADHD bisexual woman surrounded by people going through the same or other situations such as I was amazing to experience. Knowing I was not alone and was surrounded by those people brought a sense of peace, of comfort. I still get chills whenever I replay a memory of that historic day.

Now President Trump, a word to you. I do not hate you. I have never hated anyone in my life and I do not plan to start now. I do hope that the march was a wake-up call for you, though. When millions of people put aside their differences to stand together GLOBALLY, I hope it makes you realize just how much your decisions affect the world. Please realize that if you do continue with this hateful and frankly harmful path, we the people that you are here to serve will not hesitate to peacefully remind you and exercise all of our rights to oppose detrimental policies and positions. I wish you the best in office for it is not an easy job. I hope you use your common sense instead of prejudice and greed when you make decisions that affect our country. Please realize that you are in office to protect all of us.

To Congress please remember that you have power. That you were elected to enact change that betters our society and economic state. That we should not prohibit progress for progress's sake. Congress representatives, you were not elected just so that you could avoid major controversy to ensure re-election next term.

Finally to our Supreme Court Justices, you are our last line of defense. This term will see out some very difficult decisions and your rulings will drastically affect us as well as set precedents. I don't envy y'all. This is the reason checks and balances was created. This is a democracy, not a dictatorship or monarchy or theocracy, so there is no reason or excuse for there to ever be a power imbalance. Let's make America strive for betterment and greatness will follow.