Wofford vs. The Citadel

Wofford vs. The Citadel

We're (NOT) Sorry It Hurts.

22
Wofford vs. The Citadel

This morning, I woke up to my mom sending me a picture of the Post and Courier titled "'It Hurts'." I lived in Charleston for fourteen years, and I had many friends go to The Citadel. I cannot quote anything that I'd say in this article, because I'd prefer to be classy. But, I can assure you it would be something along the lines of “How do you like them apples, pansy?” and “Get on our level, bulldogs!”

I did not make it to the game, as I have a paper due Monday, and I am taking a break to write this article. But boy do I wish I was there, among the 10,000 plus other people that were watching, including my parents and many of my friends. My mom kept texting me on Saturday while I was at dinner, telling first that it was still 3-3 about halfway through the third. Then, next thing I know, I check the score and it is 17-3. Man, did I get excited. I was getting food with my friends, and I almost jumped out of chair in the middle of Japan House.

On Saturday, Wofford beat The Citadel 17-3, with a freshman quarterback! First, let me give Joe Newman some probs. He played one hell of a game, finishing with six rushes and forty-five yards. Also, he scored the only offensive touchdown for either side! That’s a lot to ask of a freshman. That’s one hell of a job, kid!

The other story of the game was miscues. The Citadel's kicker went 1-4 kicking field goals. The sad part about that stat is that he had only missed one all year leading to this. Talk about the wrong time to miss. Also, both teams threw two interceptions. Joe didn't throw any, but Joe is FOURTH STRING! He was a redshirt until this game! That's right, strings one through three are all hurt. That puts Joe, a true redshirt freshman, in the driver's seat against Youngstown State, who beat Jacksonville State 40-24.

Anyway, our starter for this game, and usually the third string quarterback Brandon Goodson threw two interceptions before he left the game due to injury with a high ankle sprain late in the third quarter while the score was still 3-3. Thankfully for us though, Citadel starter Dominique Allen also threw two interceptions, one of which was a pick-six run back sixty-four yards by sophomore Devin Watson, who is only cousins with DeShaun Watson, that Clemson Quarterback. Whatever is in the food that family makes, someone please bring me a plate. I’d love a little of that athleticism.

Anyway, that was one hell of a game by the T-Dawgs. I feel so bad for missing it, I might drive all the way to Ohio to watch us play Youngstown State. That game is happening at 2pm this Saturday. It is the Elite 8 of the FCS College Football Championship.